Small Carp Tricks?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by Desrthorn, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Desrthorn

Desrthorn New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Anybody have any tricks for catching small (6-10 inch) carp? I met an old flathead expert years ago at Roosevelt that said his favorite bait by far was 6-10 inch carp or suckers. I would like to try carp for bait this year but I can't ever seem to catch any less than 12".

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    He's right. Tie it up on a slip rig with an 8oz led sinker. Hook it behind the dorsal with a 10/0 or 12/0 big river hook. If I'm using a large carp, (bigger than 10 inches or so), I will tie a stinger extension with a large treble hook through a gill plate. THen you can tight line it.

The best way to catch the little ones is to catch a whole buinch of big ones.
    Keep fishing for them with corn or white bread and eventualy you will catch the small ones. Use a small treble hook #14 on an ultra light rig in the back of shallow coves.. If there is grass in the cove, that is even better...

Good luck.

3. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I have no idea about the suckers though.. The only suckers I have seen are those razer back suckers which are endangered I think... I used to catch those in a canals when I was little on night crawlers...

Any info on sucker fish would be great...

Take care~

4. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I used to throw about a half can of corn all around about 12-15ft from the bank and throw a cast net all around the area. I would pull in a good amount of smaller carp, but I would also net some bigger ones that were a pain to get untangled from the net. Its an easy way to get bait though.

5. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    2 years ago i was catching a bunch of them on the far side of the diverision dam with a casting net. theres some weeds over there & a small area you can . Actually caught a bunch.

Next year i went back I couldnt catch a single one.

Im going to try az flats & silenced majoritys suggestions this year & see how it works out.

6. Desrthorn

Desrthorn New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks for the ideas - I'll give them a try. Andy, the Razorback sucker is indeed protected. There are desert suckers in the Salt, Gila,and Verde Rivers that are legal to fish for. I caught a couple on night crawlers on the Verde River years ago. They are not listed as a legal baitfish in the fishing regs, though.

7. suey

suey New Member

State:
    arizona
    nope..the desert suckers (white suckers) arent listed as a baitfish. but i highly doubt youd get into trouble if they are from the waters your fishing.

a bunch of people seine below the diversion dam for redhorse minnows. they get up to 5-6 inches and they will fish 2 on a hook.

just a tidbit

8. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Carp is great flathead bait. I knew some old timers that used bait their trotlines with 5 to 6 # carp.

9. willdavidix

willdavidix New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Desrthorn small carp work the best for me, I think because they are very lively at the end of your line. Especially if you draw a little blood when you hook them. Nothing calls a flathead to the dinner table like an injured carp. Anyway I don't know where you live but I catch plenty of small carp from the Phoenix Urban lakes and some of the community lakes that are in some of the Housing developments around the valley. But you will have to invest some sort of live well you can transport around with you. I bought one of those aeration kits that you can put in a big Igloo Ice chest.

10. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hi Dave,
    Welcome to the BOC..
    * Check the REGS.... It is illegal to transport fish with the exception of minnows and waterdogs.

* The carp or gills you use for bait need to be caught in the waters you are fishing.. ALSO~ you run the risk of transporting agula mussels (sp) or some other sort of invasive species.. Do not transport fish from one body of water to the next..
    ~A

11. Dirkdigler33

Dirkdigler33 New Member

State:
    arizona
    This is all great info , I can never find the carp either ,Thanks

12. Vulture

Vulture New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Hey, AzFlats did you ever recover your anchor from the gathering? I should heading back at the end of the month. I'll check for it.

13. az cat hunter

az cat hunter New Member

State:
    AZ
    Sometimes we will throw out some bread out and watch the carp feed,then cast net on smaller fish! It seems to work pretty good.Also having a kid who dosent mind catching carp all day to get a few good ones,helps out too!!