Small bowfin

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by zcat, Sep 18, 2006.

1. zcat

zcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    I was catching bluegill for bait ,and i caught a 9 inch bowfin.Has anyone used bowfin for bait.Will try it out in a few days.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have caught bowfin but tried it out for bait. Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Bowfin, we call them grinnel, are great fighters. I release all of them to fight another day.

4. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    I got a bunch of 3 inchers out of a ditch one time with a crawdad rake. Put them on a trotline, they stayed alive for over a week, but nothing ever ate even one of them. grizzly

5. zcat

zcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    No luck on the bowfin.Did catch a flat on a gill tonite.My best so far 9.2 pounds.

6. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I would rather have small grinnel than any other bait.I have had great sucess on them.I have used them for cut bait also.They seem to work as well as any other cut bait I've used.They would be my #1 choice for live bait,with sunperch and mudcat coming 2nd and 3rd.

7. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I caught biggest bowfin 30" 10pound on shiner. I don't have try use cutbait that...

8. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Hey man people look all over the internet for little fingerling bowfin....for aquariums! I've even seen people willing to pay 30-45 dollars for one of them!!:eek:oooh:

Just make sure its already a native fish in their area, or it will probably cause some sort of destruction**

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Bowfin are fish eaters, they'll tear up fish bigger than they are. They're mean boogers. I wouldn't put but one bowfin in an aquarium.

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    used to catch those grinnel in arkansas and e. texas. super hard fighting and hard biting. we found a bunch of little 3 inch ones in a flooded ditch and used em for bait. fished them 3 feet under a cork and caught a bunch of bass, but no cats... thing that impressed me was we had em in half a bucket of water in the summer with no aereation, and didn't lose one.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would throw them bowfins back. Stick with the bluegills.