Small boat trailor tires

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Drawout, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    What are my options for replacing these i would like to get bigger tires on my trailor? They are currently 5.70 8 trailer tires 4 lug wheel.

2. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Or if it would be too much trouble to upgrade does anyone know where i can fin them cheap,even if used that would be fine as well.

3. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I don't think you can beat the price @ wally world, they come with the rims already on 'em. They are usually painted, not galvanized but unless saltwater is an issue, it doesn't matter anyway

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Harbour tool and freight and northern have had good deals on tires in the past. Thoses teo places may be worth checking out.

5. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Johnny, If you have a local trailer manufacture ask them about it. The reason I say is because last week one of my friends told me he got hubs with the whole shebang (bearings, races, dust cover, everything) for 15 dollars. They also had tires and wheels but I don't remember what he said about them.

st

6. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    thx for the replies guys and yes i have lots of trailor places around here so i think ill ask them also.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Make sure they say ST on them and that they are in fact trailer tires.I don't advise ever getting used tires.Cabelas also has very good tires of all sizes with and without rims.Go to their website or order a free Marine catalog.See that little person in front of you in the Avatar?Would you risk a blowout on your trailer if the baby was aboard the tow vehicle.Even the smallest boats can cause severe problems if you have a blowout at speed.:big_smile: :smile2:

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It depends upon the axle setup on your trailer as to wether or not you can simply put larger tires on the trailer. You must have clearance from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender, and your hub must match the rims that are currently on the trailer. If it is not feasible to simply change the hub for a bigger tire, you probably will need to change the axle/bub assembly - and this may require new fenders. Larger tires are nice, but if your not going to be a pro bass fisherman (or pro catman) it may not be worth the expense to change what you currently have. One word of caution though, don't overload your boat trailer. The axle is the weakest link and if your going camping and load everything into the boat trailer, you may not make it to the campgrounds or back home. Best of advice for small tires is to drive slow and check the bearings, tread and sidewall frequently for damage.

9. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    brother if you have any flee markets there i would try there first. and look in the boat and rv trader.

10. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    one other thing is low trailers (shorter tires) take less water to load and unload.

11. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    just take it a little slower.