small boat for river fishing

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by flathunter, Nov 6, 2005.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am thinking of getting one of those 2 seat pastic type boats
    for getting to prime bankfishing spots on a medium sized river..How do you think they will preform?

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    well i have no personal experience of using one of them. but i can say from what ive seen of these 2 guys using one. wife and i were out on the delta we took a break and beached the bassboat eating lunch walking around. these two guys in one of them come putting along they were bass fishing with it. and coming the other way on the river as a big ole ski boat kicking a big wake it went past that little 2 seater didnt flip nothing infact it didnt even seem to faze the two guys on it. it impressed me a lot. i know id of been a bit worried of it tipping over and losing any gear and such. i talked to the guys for a bit he sold his big ranger and bought that 2 yeas ago and said he will never own anything else. so i even been looking at one for a couple of little back water areas i know of i cant get my bass boat into. good luck let us know if you buy one and how you like or dislike it.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have owned two of these boats. The first one was a used one and the plastic cracked away. I found out later that you must not store them in the sun. The second one I bought new and It was still in very good shape when I had to sell it. When my money problems go away I may get another one. :D

4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    may i suggest a coleman crawdad. I think this would work out much better then a pontoon style 2 man bass rig. It is more like a plastic jon boat with a carpeted floor and two swivel seats. much more room then a pontoon style boat. very stable for its size. I've used mine on several small to med size rivers works out very well. at 100 lbs it can be easily lauched from about anywhere and can be drug through shallow riffles pretty easily. Also very tough have had one for ten years or better on My second one now the first got stolen along with the truck it was in got the truck back but no boat in the bed. took Me about six months to replace, for coleman doesn't make them anymore. I paid $300 for the used one I have now and it was in perfect shape. hope this helps good luck boat hunting

5. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Flathunter follow this link to see an old style colman crawdad probibly not local to you but will give you an idea whatI'm talkin about. apparently coleman is making the crawdad again saw a new one on target.com $499. new one appears to be a double hull design so i imagine it will be heavier then the old single hull like I have, could be an issue if loading into the back of a truck.

here's the link www.boston.craigslist.org/boa/108458308.html

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    thats a neet little boat. i have seen the two man style. they look pretty cool. i wouldn't river fish with one but for ponds they are great.

7. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    jerm, I would never recomend taking one of these lil boats out in a swift current or swollen river. but I have used mine on several smaller lazy rivers and it work out great.

8. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    If your have something around that two man size be sure and check out the louisiana pirogue. Its a boat that is easily to handle anywhere. A two person mudbug is only 65 pounds and will take a small motor. They are kinda common here in arkansas and most around here call them poaching boats because they have been used for poaching alot because of the ease of using them and easy to paddle making them quiet. They are a good all around small river or lake boat.

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey Flattie, Just go buy a $900 Old Towne Canoe. Yea.... That would work. ;) Go ahead buddy tell the story, if not I will when I get home tonight..... :eek:

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mellon I will let you tell the whole story tonight!

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well here goes. We've been talking about getting a nice jon boat, small poind boat, etc... to access diff spots from the local river. We wanted something that was light but stable. I began looking @ Pelican Canoes & those Bass Prowler kind of boats. I decided that I didnt like the plasic baots because the seats sat too high & I was affraid a little river current would tip us over, so I was almost at the point I was going to buy a Pelican canoe for $400. A Day or so later, Flathunter calls & says he bought a canoe..... an Old Towne 16 footer. It sure looked like a nice one. He got life jackets, oars, etc.., even licensed it for 3 years. Here is his post about it:

"Ok guys, I just purchased my first canoe, and I have never been in one..It is a 16.4 ft old town, with a weight limit of 1050-lbs....I will be using it mainly on the scioto river, and will not be fishing from it, just using it to get to out of the way places to bank fish..I will be taking it out on a lake first just to get a feel of it...So do you have any pointers? I have a couple questions, how hard would it be for one man to paddle a two man canoe?Can you take a canoe across the river, with the current pushing the side without overturning?.Or do you have to go strictly with or aginst the current? I might add that I cant swin, and yes I am buying new life Jackets..And I not only have never been in a canoe, but I have never been in a boat of any kind, always fished from the bank."

A few days later, after the maiden voyage I get a very short, simple email: "I am selling the canoe". I called him, he was in shock, I think he was still shaking. He said he thought he was going to drown! Poor guy dumped his son & they had been in this canoe for 5 seconds. He wanted to get rod of it so fast he took something like a $600 loss. Yeap... someone got a nice canoe.

Now we are talking about getting a nice Jon that will do what we need it to do, so when we do buy a Jon, be on the lookout, you may see it for sell a couple days later.!!!

12. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Canoes are great, if ya don't have good balance, rig them up with an out rigger and they are great.

My wifes cousin just got one of the little 2 man basstoon's as I call them. He loves it. Swears that it is better than a big bass boat because it is more comfy and isn't as big so it doesn't scare the fish as much.

As for me, I prefer a little bit more room. I like the ability to stand up in a boat without fear of it capsizing.

13. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    heres a lilyazoo aluminum mini jon
    says it can take a 3hp motor
    we have it sanded down and will be
    painting it soon camo
    it will look good with a decked out
    paintjob and motor
    thinking that a trolling motor is enough
    i have fears of son in a fast little boat
    by himself:eek:

14. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    That's a cool little jon there, small enough to throw in the back of the truck and probably lighter than those plastic kinds. It looks like it really has pontoons. How stable is that thing? That's something I'm kind of interested in.

15. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I've had two 2 man boats and liked both very well. The first was a Bass buster, great lil boat but was in sad shape. My next was a Bass Tender 11.3 ft. Super nice lil bass boat. Tri hull type. Very stable, Had a live well , raised casting deck in front, 5hp and a trolling motor, lights, pumps. Everything you could ask for in a small boat. Wish I had never sold that boat. It is made by Leisure Life.

16. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    DRC, you know you just oughta sell it to me! I'll test it out and tell ya how it'll ride.. You guys oughta see these homeade boats made down here just to run in the race every year. They are no longer that six to eight feet smaller versions of hydrofoil boats. I've seen them toting 25hp motors and talking about scootin. They blister the top of the water. :blink:

17. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    chris and danny
    thanks for comments guys, this little boat is 7 feet long measureing across
    the top of square pontoons i believeit measured 20 inches i.d. wide
    and maybe 44 o.d. wide less than 72 i.d. long
    it says 1 person 300 lb max rateing
    we havent got it in water yet , we plugged 2 holes in bottom and
    stripped rotted wood off tops of pontoon compartments
    it fits in a pick up really well and its not that bad to carry with 2 people
    although its awkward for me by myself as theres not a lot to grip easily
    from the sides it would be neat to make a light weight dolly for it.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got a 14' aluminum jon boat that I can load into the back of a pickup by myself, and launch it over the bank by myself. I wanted something for small waters where I didn't want to try to manuver a boat trailer. Actually, I've got 2 of the 14' jon boats, if anybody is interested. A little on the rough side, needs several seat rivits replaced, solid transom, $100.

19. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If we lived closer I would take you up on that!

20. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    used small pontoons. I use a trolling motor. I have 250 invested in it. Quite safe and stable. I sent a pix but don't know where it is? :confused:
    Bill :)