Small boat fish cleaning table.

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Old Bill, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Howdy folks,

I'm really sure that in 2008 I will be catching a ton of nice eating catfish! (My dear wife thinks I'm hopelessly delusional based on my past fishing experiences!) But, she just doesn't understand that next year will be different!:cool2:

Anyway, I decided that a master fisherman like myself needed a fish cleaning table on my 14' aluminum boat. With a cleaning table on the boat, I wouldn't have to carry all those fish home to clean!

So using some scrap plywood I made a table that has a single folding leg resting on one of the boat's bench seats. The leg is held in place by a steel pin that fits into a hole in the seat.

The top of the table is held in place by some wood cleats that fit over the top rail of the boat. The table sloops slightly toward the water...so it will be easier to clean the gook off of the table.

I have attached an old poly fish cleaning board onto the plywood table top. I also drilled a 1/2" hole in the poly board so that the catfish's dorsal fin would have a place to go...other than into my hand! My thanks to whoever posted that tip on the BOC!:big_smile:

Here are three photos showing the cleaning table.

http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/Cleaning table.JPG

http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/Cleaning table1.JPG

http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/Cleaning table2.JPG

Now, if only I had a nice catfish to clean!:smile2:

Bill

2. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Bill, Looks great! With all the great info here at the BOC, you should get a lot of use out of it.

3. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Looks to me like it should work! You even painted it a pretty RED color. I know why you done that,so the blood woudn't be so noticeable,right? You are one smart dude!

4. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    That looks great. I'm sure you'll get to use it a lot.

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Dang, that s pretty optimistic of you Bill, in a delusional sort of way I suppose! "There, that should do it, they HAVE to start biting now!":smile2::smile2::smile2:

Just kidding, it looks great and ought to do the trick!

6. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Well Old Bill
    You certainly are creative that is a good idea done perfectly. I am pretty sure I will recognize your boat when I see it. The red matches that climb back in ladder also. Any paint left in the can for the next project? Luck

7. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Thats a pretty cool idea but I hafta ask you where do you find room for such a thing? I'm beginning to look for room for me on my 14'er. :smile2:

8. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks everyone for the kind words!:smile2:

I've gotta agree that that is one bright red color! For sure it won't be hard to recognize the table if someone "borrows" it!

And, I'm glad to say that I still have a half a can of red paint left!:crazy:

I'm hoping that the table will stay attached to the side of the boat...and not get in the way. However, knowing how clumsy I am, most likely I will be tripping on it all the time!

Bill

9. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Looks like a good idea to me Bill. I have to wonder why didn't I ever come up with something like that in my old 14'. Good luck with it. Maybe that blood red will spur the cats to bite for you.

10. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    lookin good ill bet you could clean a batch of perch on there too :big_smile: :cool2:

11. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    That is an excellent set up!
    Bill

12. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Good idea, Bill, but, check your local laws first to be sure that is allowed. Some places don't allow fish to be dressed out onboard; at least without head and body still intact. Your laws may be different and permit you to clean them. I used to carry a 12 volt filet knife for the same reason, but a warden once told me that they have to be able to positively identify fish species.

13. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Tommy, that is something that I will check out. However, maybe I've just been lucky, but in 20 plus years of fishing I've never even seen a game warden!

Heck, one summer weekend at Lake Eufaula, at the Bell Starr Cove, the OK Lake Patrol was checking boats and issuing safety decals to the boats that passed the inspections. My brother-in-law and I both had pontoon boats, and were out on the water checking jugs at the same time. He was stopped and inspected and received the safety decal. I came over in the same general area, stopped and waited for the Patrol Boat to come and inspect my boat because I wanted a decal! Well, the guys on the Patrol boat just looked at me and my wife, then took off after another boat going the other way!

I swear that this is the truth, although I messed around for at least 30 minutes following the Patrol Boat here and there...they wouldn't even look twice at my boat! The funny thing was that they almost stopped my brother-in-law a second time before they saw the decal and waved him on!:crazy:

I never did get that Safety Decal! :angry:

Bill

14. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Say,

That's a mighty handy cleaning table you built. Good job..

15. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Well, even if you may not be able to use it to clean fish, it shore would be a nice bait-cuttin' station :big_smile:

16. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Howdy everyone,

I called the Oklahoma Wildlife Department this morning about cleaning fish, on a boat, while on the water.

I was told that is was legal to do so here in Oklahoma! Hooray!:smile2:

So all I now need to do is: (1) Go fishing. (2) Catch some fish, and (3) Clean those babies on my new table!:roll_eyes:

Bill