Small baitcaster

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kyjake, Dec 4, 2009.

1. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    What are some of the better small baitcasters with line capacity of around 100 yards or so,could be smaller?Cost is an object because I am a tightwad.
    Jake

2. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Jake I have a cousin who has fished with a couple Abu 5000's for as long as I can remember. And he catches some good size cats too. Good little reels and I see them on eBay selling pretty reasonable.

3. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Zebco 202.

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Don't know what you're fishin' for, but, Daiwa makes some little ones for slingin' lures..
    Abu Garcia, has the 4600 series which are diminutive but, stout little reels..

5. festus

festus New Member

I have an Ambassaduer Royal Express and an Ambassadeur 5000C. The Royal Express is smaller than the 5000, but it doesn't list the line capacity. It has a 6.3/1 retrieve ratio. The 5000C holds 195 yds of 12 pound test, and 180 yds. of 14 pound test. I have 15 lb. test Big Game line on it and it works fine. You'd probably like the Royal Express better. It has the smaller spool you desire.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  6. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Have plenty reels for catfishing,Penn's and Abu's including several 5000's.Looking for one much smaller,even smaller than the Abu4600.I hate the thumb bar on reels like the Abu 6600 but really like the ones on one small reel I tried out.Will be using it to throw small jigs less than 1/4 oz.
    Jake

7. festus

festus New Member

I don't know for sure if they still make them, but I have an older model Daiwa BW (Black Widow) baitcaster. It probably cost less than $40. Not the best in the world, but it's about 15 years old and I never had a problem with it. I use it mostly for fishing 1/4 to 3/8 oz lures. Never tried it with anything much lighter, and I spool it with 10 lb. test.

8. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    a abu garcia blackmax!!!$50 new and cheap used!!!I throw little crappie jgs with it and i have 12 lb mono in it for B@$$ fishing

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I've got some little reels with the Winchester brand stamped on them,
    very small, but, I don't know who actually made them.. from Korea, or somesuch..
    e-bay may be a good choice, at least to look around and see..

10. festus

festus New Member

Yeah, I'd recommend the Blackmaxx over the Daiwa Black Widow anyday.

11. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
  12. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Think I will try a Black Max.It holds a little more line than I need but looks like about as small of a baitcaster that they are selling.Thanks everyone.
    Jake

13. Catfish Levi

Catfish Levi Member

State:
    chillicothe, mo
  14. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I bought one of these BPS Johnny Morris Signature reels this past summer. It is a great reel. I can easily cast a 3-1/2" tube with a 1/8 ounce weighted hook. It works smooth as silk. Not cheap but worth the money.
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...1_90567_100001001_100000000_100001000_100-1-1
    I also bought a cheaper Diawa ( http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...1_96615_100001001_100000000_100001000_100-1-1 ) and this one casts ok but is the noisiest reel I ever had. Sounds like it's flying apart when you cast it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  15. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
  16. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks for the post Jake. Been lookin for one for one of my little crappie rods also.

17. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Have already ordered the Abu black max.I have a Diawa 153 iv that is as noisy as it can be but is about the fastest reel I ever owned.Most of my fishing is done with reel with a 3/32 oz. jig with 3" grub and it cast fine with this .
    Jake

18. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    The Abu 4500 or 5000 series is a good choice.

19. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Abu Garcia ANYTHING will take care of you for many years:wink:

20. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Forgot to mention that my Diawa 153 iv is supposed to be an adjustable mag reel but the mag feature doesn't work at all.Don't know if it has a mechanical break like Abu's but it don't work.If you don't keep a thumb on the spool at all times casting these light weights it will blow up every cast.Must stay awake when using but works well for me.
    Jake