Slugs?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by mavmannate, Aug 19, 2009.

1. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    I live in eastern kansas and when I go out at night I can find about 5 slugs. About 3-9 inches long. Almost flippin snakes!

Would these be good bait? And if so, how would I keep them alive?

Thanks

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Slugs would be a good choice for channels, may even catch a big bluegill or largemouth on it.:wink: Hope this helps.

3. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    yes, but they will get picked off easy.

4. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    so how do i keep em alive, from the time i find them on humid nights, and the time i go fishing that weekend? put em in a hermit crab cage with water and rocks and sticks?

5. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    yes.. they would need a moist environment.. so maybe throwing a wet sponge in the cage with them will help as well.. if ur trying to keep them alive a lil longer.. maybe something like a small slice of watermelon or something like that...

6. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've tried slugs on two occassions. I gave them a good, honest, solid try both times. I tried carolina on the bottom and suspended under a float. But, I never even got a hit. Good luck to anyone who tries them, and let us know how they work in your area.

Ralph

7. sscprather

sscprather New Member

State:
    tennessee

8. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    I got this idea too, when I came across some big'uns that had drowned in a bucket I left out to catch rainwater. I picked em out and they still had the feel that they were alive, I dont know how long they'd last this way but I think they'd make pretty good bait, for bass, I'm not sure how they'd do for cats though.

9. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I've never thought about using slugs for bait. Seems like they would work though. You ought to freeze one in a ziploc bag with water and then thaw it out. If it's not mushy or anything I would start freezing them.

10. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    Just don't put any salt on 'em unless you wanna make dip bait:smile2::smile2:

11. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas

:smile2::smile2: That was good. :smile2::smile2:

12. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas

I laughed my a$$ off at that at work when I read it, and the woman next to me asked me what I was laughing at, and she doesnt get it... lol :smile2:

13. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I used one slug as bait last trip and caught a 10# bluecat off of it. Largest fish for the day.