slugs for catfish bait

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by kryton, Jul 6, 2006.

1. kryton

kryton New Member

State:
    ohio
    are slugs good for cat fishing will thay work

2. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I can't say that I have ever tried slugs for catfish. Never enough of them around. It may be something to look into, but I would assume if you were going to try to catch flatheads with them, you may be better off sticking to live bream. Not saying they couldnt be caught with slugs, but the slugs may be better for channel cats. Next time I see a slug I will keep it and see if it does make good bait :smile2:

3. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    nope i've triedum on trotlines,if they were any good i swear i would'nt be findinum on the back porch at night (barefooted)

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    The snails around the water i fish are good bait. I have never had any luck with garden slugs.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have only found one use for garden slugs and thats keeping the wife away from my shed. They like to hang out on the little porch for some reason.

6. kryton

kryton New Member

State:
    ohio
    guess ill just have to try and find out :lol:

7. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Don't use 'em in salt water:big_smile:

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

oh your to funny:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. catfishcrazyjr

catfishcrazyjr New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i dont think i could put 1 on a hook!!!! nasty little boogers

10. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Never tried them. But, Hey, if you want to get slimed when you ain't catching cats, that may be the way to go:lol: .

11. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    idk if i'd try em for catfish but i know i've used em with success for bluegill

12. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I've Never Tried Using Them But An Old Man Once Told Me When I First Started Catfishing That Slugs Were The Best Catfishing Bait. Like I Said I Don't Know I've Never Tried It, But That's What He Told Me.

13. kryton

kryton New Member

State:
    ohio
    the title tells all

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have caught many bass on them but never used them for cats. I would think they would at least catch channel cats

15. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    dont know about catfish but the blue gill in my pond go nuts over them a little pinch on a hook caught me 12 blue gills for bait some were big as my hand

16. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
  17. fatcats89

fatcats89 Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ok I put it to the test, I found 4 approx 6 inch slugs. 30 seconds after my line hitting the wabash my pole tried running away with about 10 pound channels on the hook. So just by my experience they are GREAT channel bait! It was not even 30 seconds from the time the bait was in the water till I had a nice cat on the hook! Try it, see how they work in your area. I know that in central Indiana area they are awesome bait!

18. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    ive never tried them but im going to now..............ive got a bunch of them here around the house..........and they are easy to find !!

19. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've only tried slugs on two occassions. I used slugs only and nothing else and gave it a good honest try, both times. Unfortunately, I caught nothing. It may be just me not knowing how to properly fish this bait, but when I use other baits I'm certainly more successful. After giving it a shot, I won't use slugs anymore. In my area (Kansas City) it just doesn't appear to be a successful bait choice.

Ralph