Slug guns

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by south_va_fisherman, Sep 21, 2007.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    whats the purpose? anything a slug gun can do a centerfire rifle could do better. so what is the point in owning one?

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    The point is not hitting an unintended target two zipcodes away. They are mandated in densly populated areas, and probably should be required more than they already are...for instance, I live on 80 acres, and there are a dozen homes w/in 1/2 mile if my stand. I'm very careful, but not so sure about everyone else.

3. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well get caught here in Iowa with a highpower deer hunting means ya go to jail. I have a rifled slug gun and I can group 3 inches at 100 yards and in the dense woods here in Iowa I dont need a hi-power that when I touch off trigged may kill my neighbor a mile away. Good Thread may cause some to think when they touch off those high powers to make sure of their target and whats behind it if they miss!!!

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I read an interesting article in a hunting magazine back in the 90's about states with shotgun only hunting.
    It was written that the numbers dont match the reasoning for shotgun only hunting being that 80% of hunting fatalities caused by firearm occurred within 100 yards and were by shotgun.

I know people killed by both shotgun and rifle.
    The one killed by a shotgun was in the 4 oclock position in relation to another hunter (his best friend). Both were in box blinds.
    The hunter whos stand was in the front fired a shotgun forward of his position. One pellet of low velocity buckshot wound up ricocheting back to the other stand and entering the guy's skull via the eye.
    Fluke? Yes, but he would be alive today had the guy been shooting a high powered rifle.

The one killed with a high powered rifle was shot over 100 yards away in the chest with a .270 by a 16 year old stupid kid that no doubt should have never been on stand alone if he cant identify a target before shooting.
    The worst part happened after the fact. The kid, his father, and his uncle didnt go see if the guy was alive or call 911 just yet.
    They spent 45 minutes or so agreeing on a story.
    The man bled to death while they were coming to terms on what to tell the badges when they showed.
    This occurred on public land. I will never hunt public land. Ever. I would never hunt again if thats the only place I have to hunt.

My personal belief is that rifle hunting is safer for other hunters and the nonhunters.
    The range on a high power bullet might be 2 miles but you would be hard pressed to get it two miles and if you did you wouldnt have been deer hunting. Bullets drop and start dropping real quick after 300-400 yards.
    We have some counties here that impose the 8 foot rule. In order to hunt with a rifle you have to be 8 feet off the ground.
    I personally would much rather folks hunt all around me and my home with a rifle rather then a shotgun because of the velocity.
    A 500 grain grain low velocity hunk of lead bouncing through the woods isnt appealing to me at all. A high velocity 130-200 grain piece of lead is. Its more likely to imbed in whaterever it hits staying put or passing through it with greatly reduced energy once it does whether its a tree or the ground.

5. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I believe the question was a "SLUG" BARRELL I dont know of anyone using buckshot. Slugs and buckshot are two different animals. Any hunting fatality is a shame no matter what the weapon. Bow hunters are also killed. Even with todays new slugs 100 yards is not a mile or a 1/2 mile. If you are shooting at a deer chest 20-30 inches off the ground that slug is going to hit the ground with a miss shortly there after unless the deer is on a rise above you. I would be willing to bet most fatalitys with shotgun or rifle was caused by sound shooting not sight shooting. But in farm country I dont want some yahoo with a high powered auto popping off rounds at a running deer!!! Been there done that!!

6. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Charles;
    To answer you question, a "slug" gun is SUPPOSED to be safer because of it's shorter range than most High-powered Centerfire Rifles.
    Many "authorities" believe a "slug" gun is safer to use in areas of higher human population density irregardless if the shotgun has a rifled barrel, uses buckshot, or shoots a sabot.
    Personally, and this is my own opinion, I think the real answer lies with the human that pulls the trigger! As in; "Don't fear the Firearm; Fear the person behind the Firearm".
    If I may be of further assistance please do not hesitate to send me a PM.
    Fraternally Yours,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Message]]]]]

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Some states ( Illinois) does not allow center fire rifles to hunt with. Nice to have a second choice.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Cant add much here ,Charels, But some folks have no choice . And besides ,its good to have alternative methods . I f you were confined to a slug gun ,as most will find that use them ,I think you will either become a better humter ,or give up. I shoot centerfire and limit myself to 200 yds or less just because I think the closer I get ,the more of a real hunter i can be .

9. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    check out the savage 210 bolt action 3 shot slug gun. awesom:cool2:

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I would rather put to use my abilities at the trigger. A small whitetail at 450-500 yards is impressive.
    The deer in the back of the truck is dead whether you killed him at 2 yards or 1000 yards. You hunted, you killed.

I view hunting like our ancestors did. Bringing the bacon home was hunting. Anything else was playing.

11. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Some idiot trying to shoot a small whitetail at 450-500 yards. And that deer going off dying or ending up in someone who hates hunting and hunters yard. Why dont we just use a .50 cal tatical and shoot them at a 1000 yards like prairie dogs? Is this hunting or seeing how far I can shoot a deer at? I mean there are plenty of deer so what if I wound a few they are expendable. People who are capable of this feat should be in Iraq helping our troops!!!

12. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Where is the hunting challenge in this theory? 450-500 yard is not impressive or skill. It is luck. And a foolishly dangerous shot. That is my opinion.