Slug Guns & Scopes

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by cantstopgrandma, Dec 11, 2009.

1. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Dont have the money right now because of Christmas and the summer side hustles are gone, but hopefully i will have a dedicated slug gun by next year. I'm just trying to figure out which way i want to go.

I currently use my 870 with Rifled site, rifled slug barrel and i have killed some deer with it, but i really want a scoped slug gun for next year. I have a spare mossberg 500 sitting around, and i was thinking about buying a slug barrel for it and putting a scope on top, but the trigger is just about as bad as my 870, and a slug barrel will cost $200 or more. I handled someones 20g H&R Ultra Slug Hunter the other day and fell in love with it. Does anybody have one? What's the trigger like compared to say an 870 or Mossy 500?

I pretty much have narrowed my scope down to the Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 (unless somebody can change my mind). All the reviews i have found are nothing but positive, and the scope doesn't cost a fortune. Anybody have any real world experience with these?

2. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I don't have any experience on slug guns, but I do on scopes. Why would you want a scope with a 32mm objective lens when 40mm would gather more light in low light situations? There are some nice 2-10 X 40s, or 2.5 to 9 X 50s that don't cost very much.

3. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    if i can remember correctly i think you have to buy a shotgun scope not a rifle scope. has something to do with the recoil, however i could be really wrong on this subject i haven't bought a shotgun scope for a long time.

4. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have an 870 with a cantilever scope mount and I like it a lot. The scope comes off with the barrel and since the scope is attached to the barrel you don't have to worry about the barrel being in exact alignment with the receiver. Also if you use the bird barrel a lot, it makes changing barrels a sinch. I know Mossberg makes one too. I don't have a good opinoin on scopes, I have a Bussnell Trophy, 1.75-4 that I really like as well.

Don't know about the triggers, never had a problem with mine (nock on wood).

Also Jeremy is right about the recoil and scopes, make sure you get one for a shotgun.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    That answered my question. I just looked up shotgun scopes and it seems almost all of them have a small objective lens. I guess it's to get the scope closer to the barrel?

6. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    It is a simple job for a competent gunsmith to do a trigger job on your 870. Also, Brownells sells a drop in trigger for the 870 which has a pretty good pull. This should cost less than buying a barrel for the Mossburg , which also has a lousy trigger. There is nothing wrong with a 32mm objective on a scope, especially with low magnification. You certainly don't have a use for high magnification on a shotgun. I would think 4x would be plenty. A 4 x 32 scope would have an 8mm exit pupil, which would be larger than your largest pupil diameter, even in the dark, so a larger objective lens would do nothing.

7. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Buy a shotgun scope not a rifle as the rifle scope will not last. Get a rifled barrel for the 500 and have a trigger job done on it. Shim the barrel tight mount the scope on the receiver and make it your deer gun. I have a 500 and I like it better than an 870 too. 870s cost way to much to setup for deer for the price of a barrel you can buy a new 500 with a rifled barrel. What you save with the Mossberg you can buy a lot of ammo. I did my own trigger job on my 500 and shimmed the barrel tight. I have a pine ridge 2.5-7x32 and it has held zero for 8 years. It is a muzzle loader and shotgun scope from Cabela's. I have dropped deer at 125yds one shot.

8. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    The Mossberg 500 is an all around good gun for the money. I have the wife in a 20 guage Mossy, and she does pretty good with it. Anyway whatever you do, good luck to you. Later Andy

9. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Thanks to everyone with their advice. I am definately getting a shotgun scope, and yes, with the small amount of magnification a 32 objective will work fine. The nikon pro staff also has a lifetime warranty, which i really like. I like my 870s more than my mossberg 500 (nothing wrong with either though), but i want a dedicated slug gun. I'm tired of switching the barrel for different seasons, and having to worry about the plug being in/out of the gun. In other words, the 870 will not be anything but a scattergun next year.

I am kicking around the idea of putting a rifled barrel on the mossberg, having it pinned, mounting scope to the receiver (already drilled and tapped) and trigger job.....but my quandry is complicated by the fact that the barrel will cost about $200, and trigger job, barrel pinning, etc is gonna cost too. For about $270 i can buy a brand new ultra slug hunter, and then all i gotta do is mount a scope.

What does a mossberg 500 trigger feel like after a trigger job? Factory it has a miles worth of creep, and i bet its at least 10#s of pull.

10. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If you want just a slug gun, there are plenty out there that are very good.....just be sure to get one that shoots more than one shot. 870's are great guns and just remember, you get what you pay for.....

11. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I'd recommend the cantilever scope mount, so the scope is attached to the barrel, the barrel is likely to move a bit in the reciever unless it is pinned. There is some more things a gunsmith can do to improve accuracy too.

12. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I would recommend the cantilever scope mout system for the shotgun. In my opinion I would do the trigger on the Remington put on the cantilever barrel. with the cantilever the scope and barrel com of together. Then when you put the scatter barrel on you still feel the benefit of the trigger job while bird or rabbit hunting.

13. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Even a cantilever barrel will twist when it is fired. So the POI can move each shot. People waste a lot on ammo trying to sight in their scopes. Because the barrel on their gun moves any gun that you change the barrel on like the 870 or the 500.You do not have to pin the barrel you can shim it tight and it will not move. Using a beer can to shim it tight so that it will not move. And use the money for ammo you can get a rifled barrel from Mossberg for about $160. And for the 500 trigger I can tell you how to remove all of the creep. Matt PM me and I will walk you through how it is done.