Sludge Spill

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by bradley_G, Dec 29, 2008.

1. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
  2. ibmeubu

ibmeubu New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It sure is strange no one from over there wants to talk. I posted the same on the other Tenn page and no one is talking. I worked in yard operations at a different plant . I know that it could have been prevented the engineers drew up the proceedure for us 6 yrs ago. Someone that probably has never seen an ash pond decided they needed the money somewhere else so the yard does without. Now look how much money it will cost and who knows what else health wise. I garrantie you the local yard people did everything they could and screemed as loud as they could on deaf ears

3. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    Sorry to hear bout your local waterways guys. We try and try to keep the great outdoors nice, but then people try to take shortcuts and it all goes to hell and leaves everybody else scratchin there heads on wether or not they can use there own water well. its really rather irritatin:confused2:

4. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I POSTED ON WATTS BAR IN LAKES AND RIVERS SECTION. NEVER HEARD A WORD.
    Don't know yet the effects on fishing. Hearing everything but I don't really think it is dangerous to us or wildlife. we burned coal till I was about 10 and had to take ashes out twice daily the dust would smother us as would any fine dust. I fished right where the ash came into the river channel. It filled close to 1/2 mile of channel. Only travel in the area will be on a shallow mud flat all the catfish nesting holes will be full for years. TVA says they are going to dredge out all the ash but i can't see it happening. This years fishing in the area is done. They have put a dyke across the river to block the ash from moving down stream so no boats wil go up from kingston and there are only a couple of very shallow launches up river. I cant use them because of my health.

5. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Here in ky its slurry ponds that break way and lots of creeks have (orange bottoms in east KY . Sorry to hear about the enviormental destruction hope it gets taken care of .

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have not heard anything about the spills

7. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    I was simply shocked to hear of such an environmental disaster. I mean ONE BILLION gallons of coal fly ash was released. I read that the coal sludge spill in October 2000 in Martin County, KY, which was 3 times smaller, was called "the worst environmental disaster East of the Mississippi" by the EPA. This is one is 3 times bigger. What damage to the local waterways:sad2::sad2:!

If anyone is interested, there is a website which is covering the disaster. Go to:
    http://www.ilovemountains.org/tva-spill/

I really feel for those effected by this horrendous disaster. Really makes you wonder about so called "clean coal" technology.

My heart goes out to everyone effected.

8. battman

battman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    hey guys,ive got a house boat at euchee marinaand went fishing off the back of the boat at the dock and absolutly wore them out! i dont think the ash is gonna bother the cats anyway.anybody heard about the luck upstream?

9. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    With all the flooding rains we've been having I can't imagine how they're gonna contain the amount of ash they're talking about (enough to fill 1600 some "olympic sized swimming pools"). By the way, a good adjective for arsenic (the main concern here) is "poison". Doesn't seem like something to disregard to me. It is odd there hasn't been more publicity.

10. battman

battman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    tva doesnt like publicity,around here all we hear are 2nd hand ifo thats never put in the papers,like the fact they,ve gotten 6 alligators out of the lake in the past 2 and a half years.they told us about 1 and that was it!wonder what else they dont tell us?:confused2: did see a headline inthe papaer that said(the proof is in the water,raised arsenic levels in wattsbarr)

11. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    the spill filled close to 1/2 mile of 40 foot deep channel and a large bay with ash. knocked a small island into the channel. It destroyed several homes boat docks and boat houses. It sent a 12 to 14 foot wave about 1 mile across a huge bay knocking down a big boat house across the bay. It was a true desaster for those affected that night. the environmentalist are screaming about the arsonic level but refuse to tell where they took thier samples or what lab tested them. If the arsonic level was that high I believe there would have been a fish kill. I look for one several times a week. Have not found anything but winter shad kills. If the ash were that bad why didn't it kill the people who had to handle it every day at the plant.

12. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    I don't know what levels a person working with this fly ash would have to be exposed to or the number of years they would have to be exposed for skin absortion to be an issue. The problem is with the fish it is ingestion from the microbs up the food chain. I'm sure there are organisms which can thrive in the inviroment as nature has proven that some can thrive in the most inhospitable conditions. We will have a resounding affect from this, but it may only show up years from now. How many years were PCB's and Mercury released before we found out they were a problem. How long did it take to figure out lead based paint was a major contributing factor in birth defects and slow early child development? The ones that will be most affected are our children or our childrens children.

Now TVA wants to pass the cost of their screw up onto the rate payers. I don't think we should pay for their problem. I say first we take back the bonuses from their executives then we start cutting their over inflated expenses. I know someone that works for TVA and they waste more money for BS projects and support services then is imaginable.

I'm sorry for the little rant, but this is rediculious and the TVA exec's should pay if not financially then legally with some jail time. Thanks for enduring my two cents worth.

13. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I totally agree TVA executives are totally at fault and jail time is not good enough. The ones responsible should be taken out and shot. I know they have known about the problems with the sludge pond for years and could have prevented it. As far as paying for the clean up where is the money coming from. If rate payers do not pay for it the tax payers all over the country will. I feel TVA should be sold to a private company so we could better controle it. As it is it is a government agency being controled by government agencies.

14. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    Frank just think if we were living in Texas I think it would be legal to shoot them.

I say they should have to adjust their budget and find a way to pay for it without rate increases. If they were to make rate changes for a guaranteed numnber of years then return the rates to normal that would also be acceptable. What will happen is the rates will be increased then after the cleanup is payed off the rates will remain high, and then this will show up as a profit and then the big execs will get big bonuses again. What will they do to earn it not a dang thing but stick it to the rate paying customers.

15. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    Wonder if we could drag them down to texas. Course there are thousands of executives who need the same thing. I am so tired hearing about we made a mistake and the working people need to bail us out. We need some serious and decisive punishment for these idiots. I worked 2 jobs as long as my health would let me and no one would bail me out. I put these people in the same catagory as the one who comes in my store with a gun and robs me. WHEN IT CAN BE PROVED THEY IGNORED A PROBLEM THAT COST US THEY SHOULD BE TREATED AS ANY OTHER CRIMINAL.

16. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    Amen brother you are right on. Until it hurts them personally (financially) they don't give a dang about the rest of us or anything else. If you place the responsability on them they will get the picture. If you are an executive of a big company and find yourself responsible you will take some action to protect you interests.

17. limted

limted New Member

State:
    indiana
    I have some friends that in crossville and they heard every fish for 7 miles of the fossil plant killed dont know dont if its true or not will they still letyo fish on shore my plant like they did

18. ibmeubu

ibmeubu New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hate to say it but I told you so . Just heard on the news about the people that are coming down with excess aresnic and other things. I still can't get it through everyone's thick heads that . this should not have happen. It was preventable. Looks to me that if it aint our problem then to hell with it. $850 mill and they still have no clue how much it will cost to clean up. TVA has admitted it was worse than first thought. Daa. . The thing is that they are accountable and the rate payers shoudn't have to foot the bill. They are quilty. BUT we will all foot the bill wait and see.
    THEY HAD THE SORCES TO PREVENT IT DAMN_IT

19. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I have not heard of any poisoning or fish kill. I check for dead fish several times a week and all I find is shad from winter kill. Ask any of the environmentalist and he will tell you people and fish are dieing like flies. I have many friends who live on the water within sight of the spill and non have had any bad effects from it or seen any out of the ordinary fish kill. As far as paying for the clean up TVA's only income is from rate payers. If we don't pay it the tax payers who are also the rate payers will pay for it. That said I firmly believe the ones responsible for allowing this happening should be held responsible and pay dearly for thier neglegence. No prison why should the rate payers have to pay for the luxury of prison for them. Stand each one against a tree and put a bullet through thier head. Lots of people say capital punishment does not work but i gurantee those executed do not comit any more crimes. I believe we can wipe them out.

20. limted

limted New Member

State:
    indiana
    will this affect the fish or safe to eat spring city and below dam will it traval that far