Sltrnsam...Clayton, you out there?

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by Burwell40, May 25, 2006.

1. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Clayton,

I thought you took all the bait from my coolers. Imagine my surprise when I opened the cooler Tuesday morning and discovered you had left all the gutballs and most of the shad filets

I'll give you a hint for future reference only because you are a loyal BOC member. I caught more than half my fish on the filet/gutballs at the legion tournament and all of them on filet/gutball at the fin and feather the weekend prior. You have to fight through smaller fish when using gutball, but lots of times, you'll get a big un to hammer the filet that's left after he little ones peck the good guts off. There was an old boy who fished Coralville for years and years and he always said..."If you can't get a bite on fresh guts, you might as well go home."

That doesn't mean that guts are always the bait of choice. I personally prefer cut bait or small whole shad scraped and with the tail cut off. Using cut/whole, one tends to catch bigger fish and, when drifting during good fishing, the bigger fish absolutely slam/smash/attack the cut/whole bait. But...when the fishing is tuff, like the last two Saturdays, gutballs can make a fisherman well. I think that had you taken the gutballs with you to the Big Creek tournament, you might have been surprised by your performance.

Hang tough Clayton...I've had tournament days where I caught no fish and watched some of those old boys bring in 80 lbs. It takes time, patience and practice! See you on the water. BTW, where do you live?

Mike.

2. sltrnsam

sltrnsam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hey mike, sorry i did not tell you i left the gutballs i hope it didnt stink to bad. i hear you on the whole shad and cut shad cause that is what i use 90% of the time and shrimp. i used fresh shad guts in the fin & feather tournament and only caught one fish the rest where on fresh cut shad.

about being disappointed i have been fishing tournaments for three years now have not won one yet, i have place in the top five in the last four tournaments last year and the frist three this year so things are coming around. what bugs me the most is when other people weigh in a large number and i only catch a few fish, dont get me wrong i dont expect to win all the time. i can honestly say i put in alot of time trying to learn how to become a better tournament fishermen, i fish every weekend, talk to alot of people, iam on the boc every night and the list goes on, i guess i will just keep trying. got a tournament this weekend at the of the mouth of the iowa.

sometime i would like to check out your drifting rigs, and see just how you do it. well sorry for running at mouth so long, by the way i live in cedar rapids

clayton

3. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Heck, you don't have to apologize. I forget to toss my bait about half the time. In fact, I got a cooler full of rotting shad ina cooler out in the boat right now. I need to get it out of there in the morning. The neighbors are having a graduation party and the smell might offend their guests.

The year before last, I went through two tournaments and didn't catch a single fish. A rather humbling experience...:). Check me on the water and I'll show you how I rig.