slow

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by bnt55, Sep 2, 2008.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Has it been slow in your neck of the woods or is it just me? Not sure what's going on with the bite but it seems as though I can do nothing right these days, at least on the river.:beat_brick:

Bill

2. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    what bites all i get is nibbles.

3. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    guys i been slammin them! and been catchin them on bottom of the freezer year old freezer burnt skip jacks!

whats goin on?

this time of year i find the blues relate more to open water and baitfish more than they relate to structure, there just cruisin rite now, not exerting alot of energy the blues are scattered, runnin in small schools so when i catch one i generally catch a cpl! ive caught fish at 50 ft and ive caught them in 25 ft they seem to change from day to day! so if your not catchin them in 50 ft try a different depth! gravel bottoms seem to be the most productive!

4. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    That's it I vote we all pile in Awka Lungs boat go out for a good lesson in Catfishin!! How many can your boat handle? I would say there will be about 50-75 guys, I'll bring the RC cola and moonpies:smile2:. I do have one question how can you tell there is a gravel bottom 50 ft down? I was under the assumption that the Ohio River was mainly sandy or mucky on the bottom?

Bill

5. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Count me in on the Jethro Tull boat myself !!!! I notice he is always on the fish also !!!!:big_smile:

6. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Is he trying to start his own guide service???:wink: I want in on the first charter....

7. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    you feel it with your sinker for one!

look at your banks for transitions and signs! they usually go from mud to gravel, before the river was damed up it looked way differant, it had lots of riffles or natrual wing dams so to say! and when they damed the river up its now put them fairly deep! now over the years these riffles have spread out over the bottom ,and new one have been created! but some of the old ones are still there! find those and youll find lots of gravel! there are some tell tell signs that can direct you to some new and old riffles ,this is how i find the gravel! there are some plants that only grow along the river in low water conditions that are only thrive around the riffles ! they are dark green knee to waist tall! and you cant miss them! so when i fish the river i gennerally fish the old parts of the river!

good luck guys

8. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    heres a lil deal i fished last week at tanners creek in lawancburg ind, never seen this pool of water at all before this day!
    all these fish and more come from 25 ft of water on on an old underwater gravel riffle !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiaHvBVk1HQ