Slow Summer!!!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by bluecat junkie, Aug 11, 2007.

1. bluecat junkie

bluecat junkie New Member

State:
    missouri
    Not only has it been a slow summer of fishing, but it is starting to get frustrating fishing areas that I do not know very well. I have recently moved to the Hannibal, MO area and I am really struggling trying to find good areas on the Mississippi River to catch fish. Does anyone out there know this stretch of the river? and if so how about some friendly pointers or maybe some areas to concentrate on. I keep reading about everyone catching nice fish and it is making me crazy. Again, throw me a bone here, I really am sinking. Thanks for any help.

Scott:angry:

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Have you tried the dams in that area Scott? You have the dams at Saverton, Quincy, and Hannibal all within a half hour or so. This time of year can usually be productive up that way.

3. bluecat junkie

State:
    missouri

I have tried the dam at Saverton, but to no avail. Are there any holes in this stretch that are better than others? The deepest hole that I've found is 38 ft. deep. I have tried morning, noon and night. The Mississippi River is new to me as I have always fished the Missouri River. I know the big ones are there, but they are doing a great job of hiding from me. ANy suggestions?
    Scott

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    First things first my friend. DONT GET FRUSTRATED. Try and turn each individual fishing trip into a learning lesson. I learn more on bad fishing days, than I ever do on good ones. Albeit its a ton of fun to sit and reel in fish by the boat loads, not much learning takes place. Thats what the bad days are for. Make your bad days more productive, and turn them into more of the good days. As well, dont always take it personal. Sometimes, the fish just wont cooperate. You know they are there, they just wont eat. Some days are like that. Nuff said bout stubborn little slimey creatures with picky eating habits. :smile2:

At first glance, the Mississippi River might be very large and intimidating. I know I found it to be such when I first started trying to fish it. Heres what I do when the goin gets tough. (still do this to this day)
    Rule Number 1. LEAVE THE FISHING RODS AT HOME.
    Rule Number 2. TAKE THE WIFE SUNBATHING
    You undoubtedly will ask, how in gods creation can I catch a catfish if I dont have no fishin rods. Cuz's answer, you wont that day, however you will catch alot of fish in the future based on your findings. Heres the theory, you are under absolutely no pressure to fish, or catch fish if ya "aint got no fishn rods" :smile2: If you dont have any fishing rods, you'll learn how to use that depth finder. Along with really, AND I MEAN REALLY, learning the sonar, you'll also learn the river. How the river flows, and what that flow does to the bottom contours. All the areas where a back eddy forms is imporant to check out closely. Kittys love em. Pay very close attention to how rish relate to the bottom, and what areas of the river you see the most fish near the bottom. Pay very close attention to inside and outside bends in the river. (They typically hold the most fish due to current irregularities) Your gonna have to trust me on this one. Not only will you learn alot about current flows, you will be absolutely amazed what you find when you just slow down and look "under" the water with no pressure. Pay close attention to HUMPS. Spend some time around the barge sails (The tie offs). Zig Zag back and forth along the banks and watch the ledges extremely closely. You will be shocked at the number of fish that use these ledges to their extreme advantage. A good ledge is my absolute favorite place to fish. If you find a fairly deep hole, with a ledge (or bench) right next to it before it goes shallow, that will be a hotspot certain times of the year. If its blues your after, they certainly are nomadic and depending on time of year you might find them shallow, or very very deep. So, in a nutshell, fill the tank with gas. With the boat in forward idle only, go down the bank of one side of the river. Your in NO hurry. I found my absolute 2 best honey holes idling down the banks.

Oh, the wife. I through that in there because she'll enjoy the sunshine, and dont have to put up with sitting in the hot sun with no breeze watching you get skunked and grouchy.:wink: As well, the more fun she has on the water, the more you'll get to go fishing. :wink:

I know it sounds pretty crazy really. For me, my absolute BEST FISHING days are the days I go with no rods. And for once, you wont leave the river aggravated and frustrated. I actually look forward to my "no rod" days with the wife sometimes.

After you've done this, do some BOC homework and find out whats working with the baits, and the presentations. Lots of BOC brothers live up that way and catch alot of big fish. I'm sure they will toss in some tactics. Once you find those "sleeper holes", we'll be bugging you for the good spots. :wink:

5. bluecat junkie

State:
    missouri

Thanks Cuz for bringing me back to reality. It's amazing what a slow summer of fishing will do for your psyche. I'm going to be hitting the river pretty hard Tuesday and Wednesday night so I will slow down and remember why I really fish. Good luck to everyone fishing and I will let you know how I do.

Scott :big_smile:

6. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Good way to put it Cuz, sometimes you just need to go out and scout. You can't fish the first great hole you come to if you don't have your rods. It keeps you going. Great post

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Scott, you'll find em bud. Keep a good attitude and keep working hard. We have ALL been there bud. Beeeeelieevvvveeee Me. LOL.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Cuz gives some great advice as usual.

But if you don't have a GPS, those honey holes you're scouting will be impossible to find again reliably.

The solution of course is simple: Get a combination graph/GPS along with a good set of digital maps (Navionics HotMaps Premium). And then learn when to hit the WPT button.

9. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Rivers are pretty easy to put yourself back on the hole. Lakes are a different story. I was able to put Cuz on a hole from 3 years ago within 2 feet. Then again. As you get older, the memory fades.

10. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Good advice... When I first bought my Lowrance, I didn't think that I would have a need for a GPS fishing the same holes that I 've been fishing for years, but being that I cover a whole lot more water now, A GPS is the best thing since sliced bread. I have a handheld Lowrance I-finder H20. I have it mounted to a Ram mount in my boat. It runs off of a 12V outlet and will take the navionics or hotmaps chip. The best thing about it is, if I'm out with Cuz or whoever, or hunting, ect. I can bring it with me and if I see something I like on the Lowrance, then I can go ahead and waypoint it for future use. On top of that, it has more features than what I will ever use. You'd be suprised, especially around here, how the river changes over time. Next to my Lowrance locator, it is one of the best things I ever spent money on.

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Mr. Gary just admitted to GPS'ing Cuz's HOney Holes. You little rascal. See if I show you a good hole again. You can take the naner'd up skunk wagon out next time. LMAO.

12. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    First of all, let me tell you that the skunk......I mean.... my boat it nanner free. It has been thouroughly cleaned for it's venture this weekend. Second of all, remind me never to leave my GPS unattended in your boat as it has the real honey holes stored in it!!!!! ROFLMAO!!!!!

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    LMAO X 10 Was it YOUR honey holes you hit the other night when you caught the
    http://www.rockleigh.org/Recreation/Images/Mammal/skunk.jpg

I just laughed so hard I couldnt breath. :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

14. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    NO!!!!!!! I do believe I was fishing some holes that I found a few weeks ago with some guy.....I think his name is CUZ!!! Besides that, like I said before, I am blaming the skunking on my partner. I'm not real sure but I thought I smelt a strong odor coming from the back of my boat!! I didn't want to say anything, but now I know what it was!!

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    It was the "naner nut crumbs" starting to fester LMFAO!!!!!!!

16. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Couldn't have been....Vince was sitting in the front of my boat that day he had his naner nut bread. Besides that my partner Keith hasn't caught a fish over 15lbs all year....It's official the blame goes to Keith. I guess I'll have to rid him of his skunkiness!!!

17. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I bet hes wear'n Fruit Of The Looms with a naner on the label. Thats it dude. Check him before Sunday. :wink:

18. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Good Idea...I'll enforce the new rules in my rig....NO NANNERS, of any size shape or form. After that, we will see what happens. No guarantees though, The only person I'm gonna rely on this weekend to put fish in the boat is ME!!

19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    NO NANERS = BIG FISH

20. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    IM CHOKING!!!!! ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!! I might just have to get a decal made for the boat....I like it!