Slow Saturday on Ohio River

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by CincyCat, Jan 12, 2008.

1. CincyCat

CincyCat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I headed out of my marina today (Saturday 1/12/08) at 10:00am after catching the best 3 doz. shad at 9-13 inches, I've ever caught, and ended the day with the only fish caught of 5 lbs (channel) IN the marina before I left. With the river up 7 ft. from last Friday, I kept getting tons of leaves and junk on my bait which I believe hurt my chances.

The cats were rolling on the surface all morning, so I tried a float rig with a shad 18 in. under a float.......but nothing.

I used the big live shad, big live/cut shad, 5 in. live shad, shad fillets, shad gut pockets................nothing.

The good news is I didn't slice my thumb open while cutting bait.....(tbull) LOL

My graph is down right now so I was fishing blind, but that will be resolved soon.

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey I am not the only one that was bleeding that trip! That sucks man it seemed like a bad day for everyone, even though the weather was awesome and we will probably have to wait a month to get another day like this one...:angry:...To bad, our day will come..:wink:

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    just be glad you guys got to go.. i wanted to go in the worst way, but had too many family obligations today. I did get to see the river tonight though, it ain't good!!! might try something dumb tomorrow depending on the weather....rollo

4. CincyCat

CincyCat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Update: I couldn't get over the thought that the cats might have moved into my marina while I was out in the river yesterday, so I went back today (Sunday) and threw out live and cut shad for 3 hours to see if there was any action.......I caught one 5 lb channel and no other runs, so I guess the blues didn't come in after all.

tbull....you are right, I was bleeding after lipping your 15 lb'r the other night. I was going to use the left hand yesterday, but didn't have the chance.

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Man Cincycat as hardcore as you are I figured you would be out in a tank top and shorts today until 11pm!:smile2:...The weather is going to take a turn for the worst by the end of the week...20 degree temps...:sad2:....might be down and out for a couple weeks...Unless someone else is going I don't care how cold it is!:wink:

6. CincyCat

CincyCat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Tank top and shorts....LOL

Thats not hard core....thats nuts!!!! Okay so I was wearing boat shoes and no socks, but I was on the big boat watching satellite tv and sittin on the couch with the heat on, so not too hardcore!!!

tbull, just let me know what day you want to try it and we can at least drop lines off the big boat, even if its 20 degrees. The blues WILL move in at some point and the shad are still there in big numbers.

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    right on brotha sounds like a plan, let me know what days you may be heading down to the boat this week..:wink:

8. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    CinctCat, you're crazy. Though the weather was nice Saturday, the river was a mess. I was in the Aberdeen area at my mother's house right on the river. There were whole forests of trees in the water. I once saw one private boat on the water all day. I had poles with me and didn't bother to get them out of the van! I counted two fridges and an oven floating down stream. I'm glad you walk out unharmed.

9. CincyCat

CincyCat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Spencer,

There was a moment when I was cruising along in my 13' boat with the fog so thick I couldn't see 50' in front of me that I thought....theres a fine line between stupid and adventurous.

I did see several small forests float by, but no appliances....LOL :crazy:

tbull, i'll be in touch

10. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Man the weather was great yesterday. wish i could have been out on the bank. As much stuff thats floating downstream right now :crazy: i would be afraid a huge log would blow a bigg hole in the bottom of the boat:crazy:

11. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    At least you got to go out and fish anyways

12. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yeah it was just too nice for the fish to be biting yesterday I guess...LOL..Hey any of you guys see a nice stove floating down river grab it I need one!:smile2::smile2::eek:oooh:

13. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    The river is a mess and the temps are going to crap too...Looks like i will stay in this weekend:angry:

14. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yeah I knew we were do for this cold snap, looks like its gonna last quite a while to...I can deal with the upper twenties and thirties, but not the teens..:sad2:

15. CincyCat

CincyCat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah king, i hear ya. i'll be bringing my boat home tomorrow, so i can get it better decked out for cattin again in a couple/few weeks. my graph crapped out 2 weeks ago and my lights have been not working well, plus i need to rig up a bait tank to keep those little fellers kickin. should be fun.

16. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Cincycat give me a shout if you need any help on the tank.:wink: This cold snap is depressing the he$# out of me..

17. CincyCat

CincyCat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    count on it tbull