Slow on the Cape Fear

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by phase5supply, Aug 21, 2009.

1. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    Just got back from the river tonight, Fished down past the Rockfish creek, only caught 1 small blue. I have been three times this week and only caught 5 fish. None to brag about, nothing over 10lbs. I have fished with live brim, cut brim, live eels and cut eels. I have fished holes, sandbars, shallow and deep there are wearing me out. I have been leaving before midnight maybe they are feeding after I leave. I hope when it cools down they start hitting a little more. Hope everyone else is doing better than me. Anyone been doing any good?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  2. flo

flo Member

State:
    fay nc
    sounds to me like you need to spend some time at e-town or regglewood they are the best places for fish as for time around 2 am to 4 am but night time is the key right now .

3. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    whats up flo..............flo is right daniel............he's a purdy good bud of mine........but i still believe you can get on the bite up here above 3............ill call you later!:wink:

4. Mako

Mako New Member

State:
    HOPE MILLS, NC
    I believe when we fished the tourney most of our fish came after midnight so you might just wanna stay later....

5. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    some of the best fishing on the cape fear is done between 11pm and 6am but the point when you cant say its dark or you cant say its day is the best time for the flatties.............

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  6. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    I am going to stay out a little later, see maybe if I can get a few more bites. I am also going to try it down at lock #3, I just have a hard time cathing brim there. I will catch 1 or 2 here and there, seems like I fish 2 hours for bait. I am going to keep working on the eels, everytime I go there I seem to catch bigger blues than up river but no nice flatheads. Thanks for all of yalls help.

7. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Daniel has the lake filled back up yet ,there in hope mills ?

8. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    Yes Jolly, the dam was fixed about 6 or 7 months ago, it was built a foot to low so everyone cried about it at first but they have got over it now. For some reason the town has let some water out of the lake and it is about 4 feet low now. It has been up and down a few times I don't know why. A 15 year old boy got a rare bacterial infection a few weeks ago in the lake, but the state test the water and said it is fine to be in. There use to be some decent cats in there but I don't know about now.

9. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    said the drained lake level this week to cut some more trees down.............they cant make up there minds............

10. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    give the river until about wednesday.............then fish the heck out of the bank with night crawlers or eel..........all this rain and the rise of the river should wake up the blues!:wink:

11. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    Thanks Kevin for the advice, also nice talking to you on the phone Sunday, Thanks for all the help hope to link up with you and fish sometime.

12. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    oh.....you can count on it daniel.........anything i can help you with in the meantime.......just hollar!:big_smile_2: