Slow night on the water

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by beeheck, Jul 14, 2007.

1. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Got out to our favorite oxbows around 9:00pm and it was just a gorgeous evening with the temps in the mid to high 70's and a bit of a cool breeze blowing, I believe out of the West. After a short run we were anchored at our usual starting hole, baited up and were left fighting it out with the bugs for a short time. Got a few bites quick and then when the sun went down it ended and I do mean ended. We sat there for a couple hours and got one fish. Moved to the other side of the lake and sat there for a few hours and picked up two more with none being if any size. There were a couple other boats on the water and the way they were moving around no one must of been doing any good. We decided to move up front and give it a try before we gave up and ended up getting a couple leaving us at a grand total of only 5 cats for the night. Wind really picked up after mid-night and the bites just quit again, so we got off the water right at 3:00am and will still call the night a success because we had a great time. Lesson learned.... take more than one kind of bait, we will have a jar of Sonny's with us next time along with my Danny King Blood punch bait and some shrimp. Chicken Liver wasn't the ticket last night and I have a question, "Anyone else out fishing last night and how did you do?"

2. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    The Gavel and I fished the Des Moines River in downtown last night for about 4hrs. We had a few big runs but only were able to land one 15 pound flathead. We'll post pictures soon.

3. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Sounds good, like to see those pics.

4. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I heard they are some nice cats in the Des Moine River. Seen some guys fishing off bridge one night on way to ball game. Congrats on your fish!!