Slow night on the Missouri River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by just cats, Aug 26, 2006.

1. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Went out at four yesterday afternoon, spent about an hour getting bait(carp and shad) and set up on the tip of a dike. I fished there until about eight and only had a few fiddler bites . Gave up on that spot and checked out a dike I had never fished before . Fished the seam and the slack water, same results, nothing. Went up river and set up on my favorite dike, I had planned on saving it for after the tournament started but since I was getting skunked decided to fish it last night, didn't matter anyway since I caught nothing there either. About 1:00 I reeled in and went downriver to a shallow mud flat between two dikes and fanned em out in every direction. An hour later I finally got the first decent bite of the night but it turned out to be only a very small blue less than two pounds. But I was glad to get the skunk off the boat anyway. Fished there another hour until an approaching storm ran me off and I went home having only caught the one small blue. The river is raising pretty good right now so I will go either tonight again or more likely in the morning. I think a good nights sleep tonight sounds better right now.

2. wooleybugger

wooleybugger New Member

State:
    Missouri
    what area of the river was you on

3. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Mile 75-80 around New Haven

4. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    your not the only one having limited success, fished almost 16 hours between friday and saturday with 2 fish, a 10 pound channel and a 4 inch channel. could be the cold front, or they are still picking up scraps from the high current a week ago. any one else having bad luck on the missouri?

5. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Just got back , fished the Bartlet boat ramp ,got 1 channel2lbs , almost lost a pole when my rod holder messed up . The fish turned off about 9:00 am or so .

6. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Last month I caught more BIG blues then ever-bunch of 50's,40's a 60 and a 85, but since the high pressure left and the rain started.....notta!

Have noticed that DNR flow data for july was 37.500cfs and aug is 32.500 so flow is down. Is there a corrolation? Dont know for sure since the weather change is a definite factor too (as well as others not yet observed!).

My locations fished are the same so they just werent there and assume are feeding somewhere else.
    Have tried other areas (somewhat) without success. Been fishing daytime,am,pm just no bites of size (a few 12-15lbers) with whole outings of 8-12hrs skunkout!

The baitfish activity is lively on the ledges with all activity at the upper 1/3 of the water column. Not seeing activity at the bottom. I do see shad in channel as allways.
    In july when bite was best there was activity on whole column. Lots of balled up shad indicating predation.

My next tactic is to float the channel bottom bouncing. Problem is that it is very hard to change (proven sucessful) method when time on the water is so valuble!