Slow night ends big... real big

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by bwanatony, Jun 29, 2007.

1. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Those of you who know me know I like to sit still, keep quiet, be patient, and target the biggest fish available. I sit for a long time for each fish, but it's usually worth the wait. Well, last night was one of those nights that took a lot of patience, but reminded me why I do this craziness called catfishing.

From 8:30 PM until almost 1:00 AM I was sitting there without a single take, thinking about what to report about this outing. Something like "the summer doldrums have arrived" or "flatheads take a vacation".
    BUT, it was such a beautiful night with the nearly full moon and the pleasant temps & gentle wind that I decided to stay until 1:15. There weren't even any mosquitoes, and I had primo bait on the lines thrashing around, perhaps more active than usual because the water is so low and the current so slow.
    At 1:10 I reeled in one line, then sat still for a minute to rest my sore back. Just as I reached for the other rod to wind it in and head for the ramp, the bluegill twitched the rod a little too much for his size, so I quickly snapped off the clicker and thumbed the spool. Sure enough, the line started peeling off at a slow steady rate, heading out into open water away from the snag. I let it go quite a ways before tightening up on the circle hook (which did just what it was supposed to do), then I locked the reel and gently leaned back until the line was taught all the way to the fish. I could feel it was a good fish, but it didn't seem like a cat at first- then I think it realized it was hooked started taking line against the drag.
    It was several minutes before I got it close enough to the boat to see the tell-tale sign of a big flat, it wouldn't come up off the bottom. It went around the back of the boat twice and almost got into the prop before I finally got a look at it, and at first look I figured I had a new Personal Best, because it looked and felt bigger than 32 pounds.
    Well, it was ONLY 30.1 pounds, 41" long, and 27" around the head. I got the measuring done and then shot a dozen pics with a tripod, then I eased her over the side and held her lower jaw while she revived until she chomped my thumb good, and lit for the bottom with big splash of the tail.
    Here's the only pic that survived, because I accidently deleted the other 11. You can see I need to learn how to aim the tripod better, but at least the good-looking subject is fully pictured...
    Man, I love catfishing!

Link

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Sounds like your patients paid off buddy!!! Great story and great job Tony!!!!

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations and thanks for sharing the story and pics:big_smile:.

4. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Congrats on that nice catch Tony.:006:

5. Mel Drummond

Mel Drummond New Member

State:
    Morrice, Michigan
    Congratulations Tony that is a awesom fish. Were you fishing your favorite spot? Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Mel

6. ilkeeper1965

ilkeeper1965 New Member

State:
    il.
    Congratulations Tony, thats a nice fish, thanks for sharing.

7. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Congrats and great story. Thats how I usally get my big ones be able to sit there without a run then all of sudden the big one comes swimming by and cant turn up the offering.

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Nice fish. Isn't it great when things come together...W

9. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Congratulations on a nice fish! How deep of water were you fishing in?

I too like to set my lines out and wait it out. And if the weather and the bugs are leaving me alone I really don't mind all that much that I am not catching fish. Sometimes I feel that I am just wasting time and should move spots but most the time I just stay put. I've never hooked into a big one like yours but your story gives me hope that patience will someday pay off big.

Tony
    _

10. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    thanks for the story ,and nice fish:big_smile:

11. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    congrats Tony, you did it again. But on a bluegill?? I'm suprised you didnt have a bullhead out. Although apparently that doesn't matter. you were fishing your usual stretch of river i assume? again i must say congrats, and keep up the good work.

12. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Tony-
    Sounds like we fish alike. When the air & water are this warm, I fish shallower water, but always near- but not right in- heavy cover.
    Tony Too.

13. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:

Jon-
    I did have a bullhead out, but the 'gill was the lucky bait last night. It was a really big bullhead, the only size I could get.
    Yes, I was at that spot about halfway between Monterey Center & Pigsknuckle, just south of the alien landing spot. I think you know the place... ;>)

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tony thanks for sharing a great catfish story. Patience paid off and I like the cpr you performed.:wink:

15. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Tony you best check out that boat of yours. I'm thinking that you must be sniffing waaay too many gas fumes!!!
    :eek:oooh::tounge_out:

Tony2
    _

16. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I can only dream... Thanks for sharin' your story...

17. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    is exactly verbatim of what Brother Felkner and myself did last night June 28TH No bugs,full moon.The only thing different is you were fishing from a boat we were shore fishing.The spot was the Mouth of the Nodaway River as it empties into the Missouri River.We waited until 12:30Am.It was a very beautiful night,and I don't know how deep the hole is but I know for sure it is extremely deep.Brother Felkner was getting hits but the minute he grabbed his rod out of the rod holder it would quit making the drag sing.Mine just stood there like two sticks in the mud.Yes we visited with each other but we wasn't loud.We used small gills for live bait and used another one for cut bait.I do not understand what I am doing wrong for whatever reason I just seem to latch onto the"BEAST"!!! Brother Falkner was so in hopes we would catch fish. He has caugh several heavy weights.You write a wonderful story.I was sitting on the edge of my seat almost.Very well written and descriptive It was like I was there with you.Absolutely well written and marvelous. Fantastic picture of the Flattie,thank you for sharing!!! ____Sister Pat:big_smile:

18. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Awesome Tony, I'm glad your patience paid off! I've had fish in my tank about 3 times in the past week and a half, and never the opportunity to put one on a hook in the river...very frustrating. Looking forward to my vacation, the first 10 days of July!

19. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Awesome cat Tony, thanks for sharing the pic. and story!!!

20. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Tony, You da man.! Thats a great story, and a great fish. I haven't been out since I was in GR the first of the month. Too many things going on. I'm going to try an hit the Cass River next week, if I can find the time.
    Sparky