Slow fishing on Truman Lake - Is it spawning time?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Mr.T, May 30, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Fished Friday and Monday around KK Island, lots of little hits but only a few fish, mostly small. Was drifting Monday right through the hovering masses of white bass fishermen who were just slaying them, so there should have been a bunch of catfish on the bottom catching the leftover shad pieces but nothing.

Water surface temp was about 78 on Monday, and the wind had been blowing hard all weekend so the water was well stirred.

Is the catfish spawn underway? Or am I just a rotten fisherman? (Or both??)

2. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think it might be tht time of year. I wasn't catching much but small ones below the dam either. Hybrids and crappie have been caught, but not much in the way of cats.

3. CLD

CLD New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I drifted Monday and caught 11. Again on Wednesday and caught 14. All small. Largest was 10 pounds. Talked to Steve Brown's wife. She said it's been slow for him and his clients. I believe the spawn is a little early. Keep at it Marty. It will come together for you and your boy.

4. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    hey Guys! Names Rick Out Of Lapeer Michigan. Was Out Fishing For Cats A Couple Of Nights Ago And I Am Finding It's Slow Here Also. I Did Catch One Decent Sized Fish. While Filleting It Up I Found She Was Full Of Eggs, So I Figure The Spawn Has Already Started Or Is Getting Ready To. I Have Been Fishing At A Small Dam Lately Where The Walleye Are Biting. So I've Been Fishing For Walleye While Waiting For A Cat To Take My Cut Bait On My Other Rig. Good Luck To Everyone And Let Me Know When Things Start To Change For You.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Hey Chip

Was that you that I saw on Monday morning near KK Island? Big green Lowe boat with a bimini top and several rod holders across the back?

If so, I was in the tan Xpress that was drifting to the west of you...

6. CLD

CLD New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Marty,

Probably was. I remember the tan boat. I was by myself that morning. Took my boys with me on Wednesday. We fish the Warsaw area frequently. I am generally there every other weekend and will be there a full week at the end of July. Maybe we can make a connection sometime.

Chip

7. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    My son and I did some drifting last sunday nite, fished about two hours with cut shad, did ok, caught six fish and lost two, biggest went about six pounds, smallest about three. Nothing big but nice eatin size. Mixed blues and channels. A guy in our campground caught a 53 pound blue on a jug on saturday. A couple of the fish we caught had eggs in them so I think they are gettin ready to spawn, eggs were still really pale yellow so I would say within the next week or so. We were drifting a 10' flat between shawnee bend and the mile long bridge. Boog

8. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Marty do you remember the water temp? Blues spawn between 70 and 75 degrees combined with a full moon. I haven't been up on Truman but I believe the spawn has started down on LOZ. Not all fish spawn at once but one sign is the number and size of fish caught on rod-n-reel go down while trotliners will catch large ones. Usually lasts till the next full moon although some will finish spawning earlier and go on a eating binge. Post spawn is one of my favorite times to catch Blues. The first two weeks of July I usually catch some pretty good fish. See ya on the water!

9. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The Corps of Engineers reports today that the surface water temp is 77. It's been going up fairly quickly this year. If I remember right, it hit 70 about a week and a half ago.

10. meat_hunter

meat_hunter New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    hey
    new to the boc. but im also new to fishing from boats. usually fish from the bank especially at truman. but you all keep talking about drifting and i was wandering when, how, and where do u drift.
    james

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Hi James and welcome to the BOC

There are *tons* of articles here on the BOC that cover drifting - check in the library and then do a search for "drift fishing" - when you're reading though, make sure you can tell whether they're talking about drifting in a river or a lake as it's not quite the same. Bottom line is you let the wind blow your boat over a likely area while dragging your bait on or just above the bottom.

As for where to drift, you'll want to find humps on the lake where the water depth is above the thermocline (which forms at around 20 to 25 ft later this summer) - drift across the hump, go back and reposition and do it again.

Cut shad is the ticket. Big bait = big fish.

If you've got a few bucks to spare and really want to learn how and where to drift on Truman, book a trip with Steve Brown in Warsaw for late July or so. He'll show you the ropes in no time.

12. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think they have gone into spawn. The week before Memerial day my friend and I went to his dad's and we fished Long Branch and Thomas Hill every night and we only caught small ones. But one of the days a guy trotlining give us a nice channel that was full of eggs. I think this year they might be spawning earlier then normal.

Dave