Slow current river anchoring help

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by kitsinni, Jul 15, 2009.

1. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been having trouble anchoring up again, this time in slow current in the river. It has not been raining much and the current is pretty much gone from the river. When there was current using a drift bucket worked perfect now the drift bucket doesn't even get pulled behind the boat. Even the bow anchor line never gets pulled tight. If you throw it in your boat just kinda sits there and if you throw out extra line it never takes and just sits there slack. If any boats come by the wake throws you out sometimes almost turning your boat around.

Is it dangerous to use two anchors when there is almost no current? If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it!

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Use 2 anchors in situations like that. No problem.

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    No problem with two anchors in that situation.

Toss out your front anchor then back up a ways while releasing line, then toss out a stern anchor. Pull yourself forward again with the bow anchor line, while releasing some stern line. Tie off the front, then pull on the stern line until it is tight, then tie it off. Now you'll have 'slope' to both anchor lines which should hold you in place.

That sounded complicated but it's really pretty straightforward and simple.

4. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I use 2 anchors all the time, and sometimes 3.

I like the boat as still as possible.

You could try anchoring sideways with the bow towards the traffic. That way the wake from passing boats will be lessened. It also gives you the whole side of the boat to put your rods out.

5. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I agree with Dave, especially if you have two or more people in the boat. It's so much easier and gives you so much more room to work with. We usually try to anchor sideways all the time unless the current is too strong, and most everybody else that fishes the river do also. For us though, with our setup it's easier to throw the back anchor out while still moving forward, then put the front one out and then tighten up the back. Usually don't have any trouble unless the wind blows up river.

As far as safety, i'm more worried about two anchors when the current's fast. We don't use anchors that catch the bottom though because you'd lose them in the rocks. We just use big heavy hunks of lead. If the river rises they just pickup off the bottom.

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Try puting out more line, when line is tight back up the boat until anchor digs in. Use river anchor or one with prongs. I like to let out 10 feet for every 1 foot of water but if in deep water you can not always do this.

7. In very slow currrent like you are talking about, with the occasional wake coming by, i'll keep the front anchor straight up and down with a little slack.

The chain I have between tha anchor and main line will absorb the wakes.Just have 1/2 a cinder block for the rear anchor, but like some of these guys, I like to anchor side ways, it helps with the passing wakes, gives ya more room to fish, and deflects debris around away from your lines.:wink:

8. wishiwasfishing2

wishiwasfishing2 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i always use two anchors in a situations like that

9. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I use to anchors in a situation like you described. I try to turn my boat
    to where I take the wake of boats in the front instead of the side or back
    if possible.

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    As suggested by many, use an anchor from the stern in conjunction with your bow anchor. I hate like heck to use two, but will do it when the is not enough current to keep my drift buckets tight. By the same token, when the current is VERY strong, and the drift buckets won't keep it straight, I also use a second anchor.

Bill in SC

11. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the replies. That is why this place is the best!

12. Southerncats

Southerncats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    If all that fails.....Drift