Slow Cooker Sketti Sauce

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Catgirl, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I've been making my own homemade spaghetti sauce for 25 years, as I know a lot of you folks have. None of that bottled stuff for me, just threw in a handful of this and that and it always turned out good. Couple years ago I found this recipe. It sounded similar to mine, so I tried it. DELICIOUS. I've tweaked it a bit over time, plus I add some sliced mushrooms occasionally towards the end of the cooking process. Try it, you'll like it.

1 lb. ground beef
    1 lb. bulk Italian sausage (hot or mild - you can use Italian turkey sausage for a lower fat version. If links are all you can find, just remove the casings.)
    1 medium green pepper, chopped
    1 medium onion, chopped
    8 garlic cloves, minced
    2 cans (28 oz. each) Italian diced tomatoes (Sometimes I sub a 28 oz. can crushed Italian tomatoes for one of these.)
    1 can (28 oz.) tomato sauce
    1 can (12 oz.) tomato paste
    1 tablespoon sugar
    2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
    1 tablespoon dried basil
    1 teaspoon dried marjoram
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper

In a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef and sausage, breaking into small pieces, until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients; mix well. Cover and cook on low approximately 8 hours (less if your crockpot is really hot) or until bubbly. Serve over your pasta of choice - I like whole wheat vermicelli. Yield: 12 servings

Note to the BOC bachelors (the ones who think they CAN'T cook): This is easy and foolproof. If you don't have a big slow cooker, you can make it on the stove. Just make sure it's a VERY large saucepan or dutch oven and cook over low heat for the afternoon. Hopefully you'll have invited "her" over for dinner, guarantee you she'll be impressed. If not, it's enough to feed a bunch of your buddies :big_smile:.

2. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Your making me hungry.that sounds like it would be good.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Thanks Tanya, that sounds like it would be delicious. How much would you charge for rent:wink:, would it include meals:wink::smile2:.

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

You know Johnny, my great grandmother, Nanny Crisp, ran a boarding house. I think it would be fun, or maybe a bed and breakfast. There's an old house down in Terrell, NC near Lake Norman that I'd like to get ahold of (if I had the dough to fix it up right.)

As far as where I live now goes, I don't mind cookin' if you don't mind freezin'. There's no insulation around here, and I still have the original old timey weighted windows. Can't tell me toes from ice cubes at the moment :smile2:. But it's all good, the memories in this house make up for it.

5. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    That sound very delicious Tanya, I don't go for the bottled sauce either.
    My mother always made homeade sauce and that's the only way I'll eat sgetty.
    Your recipe sounds good but I think I'll try it with venison...yumyum
    :big_smile:

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I would too Al, if I ever HAD any venison. That dang spoonfish said he'd send me some, but I haven't seen it yet :tounge_out:.

7. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I have a freezer full and Shelly says if you want to come on down, we'll cook some for ya.

:wink:

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Only problem is that there ain't a decent roll or good bread in North Carolina. LOL! Been there several times.

9. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Not bad Tanya. Ya know you okra down there. Fine and dandy. Have you ever heard of garlic and oregano? Not enough garlic, more garlic. Regular oregano, not that Italian seasoning stuff. Real oregano, lots of it.

Crockpot is the way to go if your name is Jones. The best flavored stuff is in a large dutch oven, and your name has to be DeRosa or Capone or Rossi or Gambino or Sabato. Make a Roux up first with some of the goodies, (paste, sauce and tomatos with garlic and oregano) Then add and simmer you other stuff as the day goes on. You can even watch the soaps as this stuff turns into excellence.

I hate to admit George is ever right. This is a rare instance. You can't eat this stuff with cornbread. Nope, nope. Don't know what George might have in mind entirely, probably some Jewish crescents rolls. But the only way to eat this stuff is with Biaga, or Italian bread, or Garlic bread, or Focaccia.

Fianally, do a good job with the spaghetti. Al Dente with no stickiness.

Actually, Tanya this is a very good recipe. I am teasing just a little here (just a little) Thank you. John.

10. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Tanya, you said that you had been making this dish for 25 years. Come on now, were you four when you started? You don't look a day over 29 to me. :wink:

George, you said that we didn't have a decent roll in the South. By the looks of things (mid drift) maybe that should be of no concern to you. :smile2:

Brother Postbeetle, Al Dente is a French word and we don't have no part of that. If it (noodles) will stick on the wall when you throw it, it is ready to eat. :big_smile_2:

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Mac,I thought my wife was crazy the first time I saw her fling a sketty noodle at the wall to see if it stuck .:smile2:

12. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    A good loaf of bread or roll for this meal must be crunchy on the outside and soft in the middle. I'll stick to my guns. Ain't a decent roll or loaf of bread south of Maryland.:wink:

13. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Load buddy All women are crazy including Mom and Grandma:wink:

14. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Sounds delicious AND easy. Thanks for posting!

15. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Gees John, you don't think EIGHT cloves of garlic is enough? They are if'n ya use as big a cloves as I do! Oregano? What's that? Reckon it's some of that stuff grows out in my herb garden? I's wond'rin' what that was sproutin' l'il green leaves in the spring, 'long side the flat leaf parsley, thyme, rosemary, chives, sage, marjoram and basil. (Have to replant the last two each year, they don't survive the winter here.) Just 'member, if ya use fresh herbs, ya gotta put in double the amount as the dried 'uns, ya hear :wink:?

I don't have a good place for a vegetable garden, be nice to have my own homegrown fresh maters in the summer. Sometimes I'll find a nice big bag of really ripe romas at my local produce stand. They wanna get rid of 'em, and I wanna make TOTALLY homemade sauce (dutch oven and ALL - can't do anything 'bout the last name problem though :big_smile:....well, I could lie :tounge_out:).

Now cornbread, it goes well with quite a few things, spaghetti NOT being one of them imo. (I like hashbrowns better than grits alongside eggs too, but don't tell my southern buddies that :embarassed:.) I had a nice loaf of Italian that I sliced and slathered with some roasted garlic BUTTER last night. Got it all nice and toasty in the oven. I like it lightly crisp all the way through personally. Think that goes well with the "sauciness".....perfect combination of textures. Occasionally I just throw some homemade garlic croutons on top with the parmesan cheese (pre-emptive strike: no, not from a can) and skip the salad!

Mac, 29 sounds good......yeah, 29. That wasn't a bad year, at least what I can remember of it :smile2:. Subtract 10 from that, you'll get the age I was when I started makin' my own sauce :eek:oooh:.

I have no idea what kind of rolls George ate during his visits to NC, and these don't necessarily compliment spaghetti - but I'd put some of those nice buttery soft all the way through yeast rolls around here up against just about anything! (I'm terrible with yeast though.....now biscuits I can do :big_smile:.)

Richard, my mom thought my sis and I were nuts the first time we did that - even though she/we'd heard about that "method" all of our lives. We were in the kitchen laughin' our rear ends off, and here she came to find about ten spaghetti noodles stuck to the wall :smile2:. "WHAT are y'all doin'?" We thought she was MAD, but then she started giggling as hard as we were.

Crunchy on the outside and soft in the middle? You sure ya ain't talkin' 'bout yerself there, GRANDPA??? Oh, I'm sorry, you said crunchy, not crusty :wink:.
    You went the wrong places when you were down here BG, it's obvious you didn't visit MY kitchen. I know what kind of bread(s) go with Italian food.

Oh, and one more thing PB. You've never tasted my okra. You'd eat it, like it, and not even complain about it. There's a first time for everything :smile2:!

16. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If you got a couple of hairs sticking out your chin and you hands smell like garlic Tanya, no matter your age, I'll eat in your kitchen anytime. Those Roma tomatoes are the only way to go.

17. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hmmm......and people 'round here accuse ME of planting hidden cameras :crazy:. Dang it John, I could've sworn I got rid of all those just yesterday with my trusty tweezers :angry:. Time for a new pair I guess :smile2:! I usually solve that garlic problem by rubbing my hands on the kitchen soap dispenser, it's stainless steel :wink:.

Now, as for age - good thing it doesn't matter. Nobody has a solution for that. If you happen to stumble across the fountain of youth, let me know. That would be :cool2:.

And.....you are welcome in my kitchen anytime. Be priveleged to have you at my table :002:.

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i use store bought alot but i always doctor it up by adding diced pepper, onion, minced garlic, itialian seasoning, can sliced mushrooms, and garlic salt. spread butter minced garlic on bread and toast in broiler and add shreadded cheese. makes the bland a bang.

sounds. good ive never heard of the sausage in sketti, altough i got a chili rec from a guy called the deer cook and he uses 1lb ground venison (deer) and one breakfast sausage. might have to try this one. thanks for sharing.