Slow action !!!!!

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by rijkmus, Jun 14, 2009.

1. rijkmus

rijkmus New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I just started targeting this Flattie with a buddy. We were doing ok earlier but this weekend we each fished 24 hours total Friday and Saturday night with out one run. I guess we will have to pay our dues, or the spawn is on. Well I will have to look forward to next weekend as my new rods and reels will be in my hands.

Now I have over 12 posts and can im.

2. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Don't feel bad, I was out last night and only managed a couple channels.
    My gills got grabbed a couple times but they definitely weren't aggressive about it. Even the 2 channels I got were just pecking real light. Beats the skunk though.

3. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    got skunked in the yough river was out saturday nothing at all lost alot of lead and hooks is about all guess your have those days lol still good to get out and fish even if ya get skunked

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

You keep putting in them kind of hours,the BIG boy will come!:wink:

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Welcome to the wonderful world of flathead fishing where you don't catch fish everday and getting the "goose egg" is a formality and part of the game:wink:.:smile2:

6. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    and it's just gonna get slower for a few weeks:angry: time ta break out the bass gear :wink:

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Keep the faith,gentlemen,Keep the faith!:crazy:

8. Yes it has been a real tough bite.:embarassed: I like the challenge though. The tough conditions and time of year make me try even harder. During this slow period, I am still posting a fish or two a night or every other night.:wink: And it motivates me to think of more tricks and gives time to scout new spots.

Also getting rained in Saturday, gave me time to mount my new reel, and spool up some new power pro on the arsenal and tie up some rigs, clean up the tackle box, etc.:wink:

The main thing in these tough periods is all of you making your reports:roll_eyes: and a few of you who say what worked and didn't and makes for some good homework.

I know a few of the fish I have been fortunate to catch this week wouldn't have happened if not for the help of you guys on this site and in person.:wink:

Thanks to all and keep tryin', or take a break. There are other species that are fun to catch, and you might even have been missing the company of...................

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont even fish the spawn, the action is so slow, I usually quit fishing for about 6 weeks, from mid June till Early AUGUST...in 30 years of flathead fishing, I can count the number of flatheads I have caught in July on one hand...August however if my best month for hungery post spawn fish.

I like to fish, and I can take the skunkings when I know I only fish for big flatheads..But when you fish 10 days in a row at 10 hrs a day with no hits, " my experince during the spawn" it's time for me to give it a rest.

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Last year around this time, a hot spell hit the Philadelphia region to the point the canceled school and let out at noon. I took the advantage of early dismissal and went wet wading in the Skuke:crazy::embarassed: fishing for smallmouth bass. I brought with me that day only 1 catfishing set up. By 4 Pm, I was geting tired of smallmouths and decided to "send one down:wink:". To my dismay, I got a run and hit a 18lber. I rebaited and an hour later, hit a 22lber. Then I put on the biggest smallmouth in the 16 inch range and surprisingly got a 25lber. All in the daytime!:big_smile:

Just proves you never know when they are gonna bite unless you are there waiting for them!:cool2:

11. Bigfish4me

Bigfish4me New Member

State:
    Conshy Pa

Well said, i dont really see the big drop off in bites.....could be because we are a little more mobile when and where we fish because were on a boat....in May sometimes we wouldnt even have to move the boat and fish one spot untill we ran out of bait.....as the summer progresses we give a spot an hour max....if its not on there we make a move, set the spread and cover as much water as possible....if the shallow line keeps getting bit then we focus on that .

Every time we head out its a different pattern, figuring it out early is the key to boating a bunch of them.....and the fact is that most of my honey holes are definitly not acessable by bank, now i am not saying we are not tight to the bank at some of them.....but the bank is billy goat country...steep and muddy. The last time i was out with John.....prior to that he was getting his bites tight to the bank....I put one in tight and the other out deep to spread it around a little....after 3 bites in the deep and no bites in close....where do you think i was fishing for the remainder of the night. I guess my point is if its not happening in one spot, make a move and fish another type of area....they are eating all summer long and i can probably count on one hand the amount of trips we have with less than 5 fish.

12. Exactly Shawn.:wink:

There are prime areas to target, but when the bite is off, you gotta move around and try different dpeths until you locate them. If not, it can be a long night.:angry:

Like I said earlier, there hasn't been a night I have had the skunk ride back on the boat with me to the dock over the last week or two:roll_eyes:, just had to move around and try some things until I land one.

And a lot of that comes from fishing with you over the years bro.:wink: