Sloppy Joes, to top or not to top, that is the question.....

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catgirl, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I'm making sloppy joes for dinner tonight, and I got to thinking about the ones my mom made when we were growing up. She called 'em spoonburgers, but they were the same thing. We never put any toppings on them, just the meat mixture on a bun. Generally I still like mine plain, although I know many people now who top them in the same manner as a hamburger....lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese, slaw, pickles, mustard, mayo, ketchup (spicy fans sometimes hot peppers/sauce). So, to top or not to top? What, if anything, do you put on yours?

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yellow Mustard :big_smile:

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I haven't had one in forever, but if I were eating at your house tonight, I'd opt for chopped Bermuda onions, and sweet pickle relish.:smile2:

Another possibility: pico de gallo. That stuff rules!

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Coming home to sloppy Joe's is about as bad as coming home to hamburger helper. Just give me the bun and throw Joe to the dog.
    I get notified on those nights so I can stop and eat a fine meal somewhere inbetween work and home.:big_smile:

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I like sloppy joes with onions and nothing else - good stuff!

6. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'd go with the chopped onions and some cheddar cheese :lol: Sounds delicious, Tanya! Enjoy :smile2:

7. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    sloppy Joe on pasta with hot sauce, or open face sandwiches made from crusty bread, topped with chopped onions and hot sauce.

8. Kimbrough21

Kimbrough21 New Member

I wouldn't top the sloppy joe, you'd be disrespecting the wholesome goodness the sloppy joe has to offer. Plus I think it's against the law in the lower 48 to tamper with the amazingness of the incredible sloppy joe.

9. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    well said!!!!!!!!!!!

10. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't think I'v ever ate one without a top on it! Bun top that is,otherwise just plain good eatin to me!:big_smile:

11. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Pickles...plenty of pickle slices. I just had some sloppy joes a few nights ago.

12. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Just a thin coating of mayo on the bun, some good cole slaw on the side along with some french fries and a cold, cold Pepsi

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Nothing but onions on mine Gooood eating

14. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Yellow Mustard and on occasion some pickles.

15. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's what Velveeta was invented for! Velveeta and some onions. Hot peppers sounds good too, I may try that next time. Anyone who doesn't like sloppy joes must either be a food snob, or Canadian!

16. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I like a lot of things. I would try some cheese(of your choise), onions, cole slaw, dill slices or black olives. But hey yall, how about changing up the bread? I think a good hogie bun or a round french bread loaf is good hollowed out and filled with sloppy joe and some fixins.

17. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    i like mine plain but my wife puts dill pickles on hers.

18. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    We usually just eat them plain at my house! Does that mean we are rednecks?:eek:oooh: :big_smile: :roll_eyes:

19. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    You mean you all put sloppy joes on a bun?
    Not me, too messy, don't want it falling into my beard. Just make it up and put er in a bowl, wouldn't hurt to sprinkle a little shredded cheeze. Sounds better than what my supper I'm eating right now is. One can of warmed up yellow hominy with a pat of butter melting over it, mmmmm. Started to go for the can of peas and diced carrots, but seeing as how it's snowing like the dickens outside, hominy sounded better.

20. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I sometimes wrap it in a tortilla with some shredded cheese the next night if there's some leftover. (no, I'm a citizen, but you can get some real lessons from Jose on keeping the bean bill down.)
    :big_smile:
    Don't try this on an English muffin, except at yer own risk.
    :crazy:
    It also makes a decent lil pizza.
    :smile2:
    See I'm multi-cultural.
    :lol: