Slob "Hunters"?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by flathead willie, Nov 9, 2008.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I had to waste one of my buck tags on someone else's deer yesterday. I was out on the mountain yesterday hoping to get a chance at one of the huge bucks that have been seen on the property. Since I already have 4 in the freezer, I was hunting for a nice wall hanger. About a half hour after sunup I heard an ATV going up the mountain. 20 minutes later I heard a high powered rifle go off. ( It's black powder season here.) After a couple hours, I decided to do a little more scouting. When I got half way up the mountain, I ran into my friends brother, one of the land owners. He was on his ATV with a .270 Ruger. I asked him if he had shot one and he said, "Yea". I asked him where it was and he said it had a messed up rack so he left it on top of the mountain. He said he was looking for a wall hanger, too. Well when he left, I continued up the mountain to where I had heard the shot. Laying next to the logging road was what would have been a nice 8 pointer that had half of it's right beam missing. It looked like it had been broken off while in velvet. This was a three year old deer that most people would have mounted if not for the broken beam. I started cussing under my breath. One more season and this would have been a wall hanger in anyone's book.
    Well it was getting warmer, so I gutted the deer and put one of my tags on it. I went down and got my friends ATV and dragged the deer out and took it to the processors. In the afternoon, I put my stand in a different place and started calling. Before long a nice 10 pointer came in within 30 yards of me. He wouldn't come out of the thicket, although I know he smelled the tarsal glands I had set out, so I knew he wasn't a dominant buck. With only one buck tag left, I decided to let it go and wait on a chance at a bigger one. I sat there thinking about this idiot killing these 2-3 year old deer, and claiming to be a trophy hunter. He did the same thing the season before last with another nice 8 pointer. It's bad enough to be too lazy to get off the ATV and hunt, but it's a real shame to shoot deer like these and just let them rot. I hated having to give up one of my tags, but at least this time the deer will be eaten. It makes me wonder how many more decent bucks are out there laying around the woods that this fool just shot and left.

2. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    I agree Billie, It doesn't hurt as bad to hear a person shooting a younger deer, but hear of a person shooting a deer, or any game and not pursuing it, makes me ill. I can't even imagine why he shot it! What may not be a trophy in some eyes is a memorable moment in others. Every animal i have shot will be remembered by me.

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    ["I can't even imagine why he shot it!"]

I guess it makes him feel like a "real man" to kill things. This guy doesn't even eat venison.

4. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Well Willie, when is the game warden coming to pick him up? After all, he just told you what he did, and you found the evidence. You did call the game warden, right?

5. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I know how you feel willie, we were dove hunting close to a couple of other hunters and when they left we drove by their spot and they had left a pile of dead doves! probably 20 doves just left there, a complete waste.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That totally unacceptable in my book. I would have turned him in ,in a heartbeat!!! We have a big enough prob here with game hogs killing more than thier limit . This just runs all over me.

7. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    It just boils down to RESPECT! If you're going to take it's life, then show the animal the respect it deserves, and use it wisely. NOTHING in the outdoors p's me off more than those that call themselves "sportsmen", and then waste the resources the Good Lord put here for us.

You did a good thing by sucking it up and not letting it die for nothing. Reps to ya!!

8. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    ihat is totally unacceptable in my book and he should be held accountable for his actions. should have turned him in friend or not.

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Billie your a better man than him. You did the right thing.

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Sounds like he bats for the other team. Who doesnt eat venison after ya kill it. :confused2:

11. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    myself I would feel I was just as much to blame if I know and didnt turn him in. as I was young growning up rule number one taught by dad and gramps never piont a gun at anything you didnt intend to shoot and if you shoot you better eat it or call the law to get that burgler/family threat out of your door way so you didnt let the heat out.

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    What the H..........? Why even shoot? :confused2:

13. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yeah know what you mean.....been out several times and found a body with no head & that is just as bad if ya ask me!

14. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Some people are confused between "hunting" and just "killing". Some people just want to go out and kill something and have no appreciation for the animal or the tradition. If the game warden was called, then he could loose his license and rifle for a very long time, but then he'd just go out and kill our game anyway. He's not addicted to hunting, just to killing game! He thinks he needs one that looks like the cover of a magazine to be considered a real hunter, FALSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think he needs to be turned in to the game warden for sure!!!!!

15. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    maybe i'm old fashion here, but i feel willie did it wrong. he said "black powder season" an guy was using a 270. then shoot and leave laying and not even hide? turn his arse in. he's probably saying that willie is a good old boy and would never turn him in. yea, the meat might go to waste, but maybe the fine might teach him something.
    gary

16. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    It sucks when people have no respect for mother nature period. Glad there are a few stand up people out there left. Sorry about your luck Willie and hope you score on your last buck tag.

17. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I know a few guys like this man. They have been turned in and caught and it has no effect on them. Some of them have been caught more than once. They just keep doing it without the license. Kinda like drunk drivers. Im like you guys I dont like it but sometimes its not worth the troubles of turning them in and then have to deal with the repercussions later.

18. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Your a better man than me Willie. I would of turned him in. He needs a wake up call!!

19. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Willie, what'd you decide to do? Did you do the right thing and turn him in, or did you squash your morals and keep your hunting spot?

20. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    If you kill it eat it . my motto . Least he could have donated it to someone . Lotta hungry people out there .