Slipping drag

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by foodsaver, Oct 19, 2006.

1. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I may have overlubricated this reel but it is an abu 6500 synchro and the drag slips no matter how tight it is. Anyone with any ideas let me know.

2. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    It sounds like your washers have oil or grease on them. Get your self a set of smoothie drag washers, clean the drag assembly with a good degreaser (dawn works very well) and put it all back together. Remember, stingy with the lube.

3. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Grease and oil on the drag washers may be the problem. If so a good cleaning should help.

You may have accidently forgotten to put in a spacer or other part needed to apply pressure on the drag washers when you tighten up on the drag. Take the drag section apart and check the parts against a schematic to see that you have everything.

If you are fishing "Braided" directly on the spool arbor the line may be slipping in the spool. Remove the line and put tape or a few wraps of mono line on the spool arbor before you put the "Braided" line on. This will give the "Braided" line something to grip the spool with.

4. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks a bunch!

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    MOST Abu drags are supposed to be kept grease and oil FREE. You will probably have to replace the drag washers (and thoroughly clean the steel ones).

Least, that's what I've been told.

6. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    clean all the drag parts with dawn dish detergent and pat dry with clean towel. Then clean with alcohol and pat dry. Should be ready to go.