slipping braid on reels, flatheads pulling

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, May 16, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    k i never had this happen i posted it in the line forum, how many of you just tie braid on withought backing, i never do. but i have a unsteady hand due to a nev condition i cant tie all them albright kn ots, how can i prevent line sliping without using all them mind blowing knots we tried tieying thees for ever, will e tape work for line sliping

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yessir, you can put tape on the spool, and it will suffice just as well to keep the braid from slipping. Many folks use this approach, and it is perfectly acceptable.

Bill in SC

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Like Bill said, tape it!

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I don't use tape or nothing and put the braid right to the reel.

What I do is soak the spool of line in a bucket of water first then tie it to the spool on the reel using a double slip knot.

With the line being wet you can hold the line and spool it a lot tighter onto the reel so the line won't slip.

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well i took four peaces of tape and put in on, ive got several 20 30 flats with no backing, hel i pulled in a my pb with no backing without much slipping, but wen you get over fifty sliping starts, so i got 150 powerpro and put tape on and tied it with a tight knot, i dont know reel knots but i use snells for hooks and my own typ knot for the main line that wont break, the knots to tie on a reel i need to learn but i cant get them down , but i havent had any problem yet with the way i do it

6. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I use waterproof surgical tape. wrap you line around spool same time as tape, hold taught till you get a few cranks on, then u should be good.

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ok i did it wrong i put tape on then tied the line lol. i dout ill have it slip, but if somes got a pic on how its done that would be cool

8. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    ok line up your line first then lay the tape on in the direction of retrieve only one revolution, cut tape, hold thumb on taped spool and crank it a few times till its tight.

9. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Black tape for my reels to hold braid from slipping. Not one has ever slipped using tape.

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Yes I was going to say I read to put electrical tape on the spool it's self and the line digs into that. Don't know haven't tried it though. I use backing