Slip sinkers + braided line

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by tmbragg67, Mar 5, 2008.

1. tmbragg67

tmbragg67 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I learned a lesson last year that I thought I'd pass along to you all. I was using braided line with a flat slip sinker above a swivel, mono leader and hook. I was fishing moderate current in a swirl (Miss. river) so the bait was moving quite a bit. I pulled in a eater and had a wad of fiber about 6' above the swivel serious enough to hold the sinker up while I was pulling in the fish. It turns out that the sinker had a metal burr on the ID of the hole that abraded the line to the point that only a few fibers were left intact. It was a miracle that I got the fish in the boat. It was a fresh rig - total time in the water was less than 30 minutes.

Moral of the story - check the ID of slip sinkers if you're mainlining them on braided line and fishing current. Any sharp burrs could quickly cause some major line problems. It never occurred to me before, but you can bet I check my sinkers out now.

2. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You might want to try using sinke slides. Cuts down on the wear & tear on the line.

3. RAPTOR

RAPTOR New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Tom,you are right about the abrasion you can run same dia drill thru sinker or connect to a swivel and let it slide on main line this works real well and can change wgt easily ...Give it a try ...:wink:

4. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    i have seen the similar thing happen with braided...

similar question... I have noticed that in sit fishing on the mississippi, i tend to catch less cats than using mono... my thinking on this is with no give in the braid, a fish just mouthing a bait will feel something unnatural sooner than with mono and let go. any others thoughts on this issue??? Now i only use braid when trolling/drifting.

5. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I stopped using braided line for that reason and because of irreparable tangles in my rigs (I mostly use a three way). Mono seems to have made life easier.