Slip sinker Carolina trouble!!!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Arkatoothis, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Arkatoothis

Arkatoothis New Member

State:
    WV
    I used to fish slip sinker Carolina method for cats back in the mid 90's from the bank and didnt do so well ( bait clicker free spool). I always wondered if my bait was just running back tward shore (big gills, drum, crappie the usual suspects) giving it a huge range of area to evade a cat that might try and track it down. It made sense so i switched to a 3 way rig with about only 3 to 4 feet the bait could go in any direction before the sinker stopped it. I have been reading about people who swear by the Carolina rig and claim the added resistance of feeling the sinker will make a cat drop the bait...Hmmmm made sense. So recently I switched back to Carolina and Saturday night I put on a really big gill and every 10 seconds or so it would yank a little line out...No big deal, I like when my bait is good and active...This lasted for about half an hour with the yanking... Then nothing for around an hour. I got tired of the no action and reeled it in only to notice my big gill was in about 3 feet of water 8 ft from shore and my sinker was 20 yards out... My suspicions were confirmed...It had slowly pulled line thru the sinker and came back to shore. The only way I see to remedy this would be to put a stop somewhere on the line so it couldnt pull out too much and if I did this it is essentially a 3 way where the fish actually has to pull the sinker around... So what im getting at has anyone else had this happen to them???. Im done with Carolina rigging cause if ya think about it a big bait sloshin around in a 4 foot radius must kick up a bunch of mud and vegitation and that must attract more fish than one who has free reign to go where it wants including snags evading a cat like it werent even tethered to the bottom.:angry:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  2. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    chriss i have never had this problem,but maybe my gills ar'nt big as yours.i use them that are about half the size of my hand if your using bait big enough to do what your saying then i see your point,i am kind of new to fishing for big flats,i think if a small cat felt the wieght of a sinker he might not take,but i believe a big flat that it would'nt bother him a bit

3. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    Tighten your clicker so your bait can't pull out the line.

4. Arkatoothis

Arkatoothis New Member

State:
    WV
    Any tighter and it would be like tight lining on a 3 way rig anyway...lol. I fish from docks a lot and lay my rods down flat. The bait I use sometimes could yank my rods right in.
    I go as big as I can cast, I try to discourage anything less than 10-15 pounds.
    Im gonna stick with 3 way or a pegger Carolina so my bait has some sinker resisrance cause I dont really see a big flattie spitting out a free meal of giant bluegill or bass or heck whatever because of a bit of resistance.

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    :eek:oooh:
    I can stick a 7" bluegill on a carolina rig, 3/4oz weight and cast it out and all it can do is bounce the line good. Although I've had a couple of them pull a couple clicks out (maybe a few inchs in hours) but thats about it on any ABU reel with clicker.

18yrds of line is alot to be pulled from a reel with a clicker by a bluegill, unless it was attached to the jaws of a flathead..jmo
    (tightened almost down ???):crazy:

6. pennsyvinn

pennsyvinn Member

State:
    PA
    I use a piece of 4 foot big game 40# mono as a shock leader with 80# power pro main line.I put one small bead above my sinker slide.This can't go through the uni to uni knot I use for tying my leader.I also put a bead on the other end of the sinker slide,then a swivel,then another 1 foot section of mono and finally an 8/0 hook.Essentially I'm keeping my bait on a 5 foot leash:wink:

7. Arkatoothis

Arkatoothis New Member

State:
    WV
    It didnt click out 18 yerds of line it was apparently clicking just a little and more than likely swimming up and twards the bank clicking just a bit of line but moving the sinker back twards my location, that is what i was trying to get across, thats just too much for a bait to be roaming around freely. it could easily evade a catfish with essentially 50 odd feet of spherical room to roam.

8. Arkatoothis

Arkatoothis New Member

State:
    WV
    I meant to say the sinker started 20 yards out and came in... sometimes i get carried away with the end of where i was going and screwing up all the middle. lol im a dork.

9. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    what size sinker are you using? it sounds to me like your saying the bait ALSO moved the sinker considerably? i use a 2oz egg or no roll sinker, with big bluegills, or big chubs, and they dont seem to move it around alot.. and when they do move it, i get excited! its usually followed by a nice fish biting within a few minutes!:wink:

NOTE: picture is for bait size reference only.. i normally do use live bait, but dead frozen bait takes better photos on the dining room table..LMAO

Attached Files:

10. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    thats the exact same set-up i use :wink:

11. Arkatoothis

Arkatoothis New Member

State:
    WV
    I use 2 or 3 oz of teardrop no snaggers so they click around a bit when the bait moves as an added attractant. It was a big gill bigger than my hand and im 6'4 with big hands. It might have just been one of those unexplained things ya know but its still enough for me to stick with 3 way rigs just in case cause thats never happened before. I use even bigger bait when i can like bass up to 14 inches and comparible drum. When one of those babys start freakin theres usually good news coming soon in the form of atleast a 20# plus.

12. kyleco55

State:
    Central In
    well it sounds like your pretty set on your decision, and thats great.. im all for someone doing what they are most comfortable with doing. my only concern, if the bait is moving your sinkers with a carolina rig, what would be different with a 3 way rig? same bait, same weight on your line? wouldnt it do the exact same thing?

BY THE WAY:

WELCOME to the WONDERFUL BOC chris! Youll find lots of excellent advice and tips on here!:wink:

13. kyleco55

State:
    Central In
    Chriss, am i not reading your post right? am i missing something here?

Im just trying to help out, and want to make sure i fully understand the problem?

IF i am right, then the only other recommendations i have is more weight?

14. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I use a Carolina rig but my leader is only 14" with a 2oz egg sinker. I wont free spool fish at all cause I use circle hooks. I guess this is one reason my bait cant and wont move unless a cat takes it. The tip of my rod may bounce slightly but that's a good thing.

Ive never had a probem with them feeling my rig and spitting the hook. Ive heard the same but I must be doin somethig right ; )

15. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    These work great. I use them occasionally. Depending on the amount of weight you want to use, you might have to stack two of them together. Easy to adjust (DON"T MOVE THEM WITHOUT COMPRESSING THEM!). Put one on 2 or 3 feet above your swivel.

http://www.mccoyfishingline.com/products_tackle_mcstopper.html

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  16. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ya peggen big baits down use weight to match. For hand size gills 6 to 9 inches I use a 5 or a 6 ounce bank weight or no roll to peg em down. For some of the monster baits I use like 10 to 14 inch suckers, carp buff fish, live mooneney I will use 6 to 10 ounce wieghts to keep em where I put em. Case point tonight I netted a 8 inch buff and hooked him up with a 5 ounce weight the lil bugger drug the rig right down a slope and into a snagg. Kicken myself in the pants for leaven the 8 ounce weights @ the house. Being I somtimes fish nasty stuff I want a bait to stay put not go into hang up city.

17. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    do you have a bait caster if so reel your line up tight and tighten your brake and he wont be able to pull it back in hope this helps

18. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I would suggest tightening down you clicker so it doesn't pull it out so much or using some bigger lead. I've personally never had this problem and have thrown some pretty big bait's out there.

19. Arkatoothis

Arkatoothis New Member

State:
    WV
    yeah were on the same page here. i just dont like the idea of a bait having a lot of line to roam free after trying to run to shore or taking out a bit of line thru the sinker... im good thanks.