Slip rigs?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Rottdog, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Rottdog

Rottdog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello everyone, I have read alot of posts that suggest fishing with a slip bobber/rig; I have a couple of questions. From what I have read you obviously don't use a regular bobber, but as far as a slip bobber or rig goes, I'm having a hard time finding out exactly how they work? I've checked the Library and there's some information there, however I still don't understand how you rig one up and how you set the depth on your line? Does anyone have any suggestions on what type to buy and where I can find a slip bobber/rig website for Dummies? :tounge_out: I totally understand the importance of being able to target the fish when they're suspended I just haven't been able to comprehend the "Know How" yet. Any suggestions or replies would be much obliged.

Thank you all for your help,
    Garrett

2. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Garrett:

I am a sponsor here on the BOC and I make and sell The KatBobbers you see that People Post about. If you will click the following Link you will see a Graphic on that webpage showing you how I rig mine.
    http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/katbob.htm

Our Bobbers will support any size bait that you might want to suspend. You tie a bobberstop knot where it is shown and then you can slide it up the line to the depth that you want to fish at. Then reel the line and bobberstop knot into your reel and then cast away. When the bobber hits the watter, give it free line till it reaches the depth and it will stop at that depth that you have set. They do work.

Hope this will help you.

Gene

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
  4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    They have some slip float rig posts on the BOC, u have do a search for them.

5. Big Russ

Big Russ New Member

State:
    Missouri
  6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    It rigs up something like this.

Either buy or tie your slip bobber knot. Moving this is what controls your depth for the most part. If you buy one you need to put it on first. You just grab the knot and slide it to where you want it, you can change it whenever you need to. I tie my own, just do a search for the knot cause I couldnt describe it. If you tie it you can tie it before or after all these other steps. Moving the knot doesnt mess up your line to me, you can always retie from time to time.

Next is your bead, this stops the bobber from going over the slipbobber knot.

Youll have to figure out which bobbers you like but I like the balsa wood cigar looking bobbers. You can find the cheapies at walmart but a bait shop should have better ones as long as the sell stuff for catfishing, also check pawn shops and ebay for bobbers. The bobber will have a hole through it like the bead to slip your line through. Sometimes the line will stick so just twist the line or bobber a little and it will go through.

I always like to put a piece of aquarium tubing after the bobber and before the sinker. This help keeps the sinker from closing in on itself and cutting your line. Now your sinker, you will have to experiment with sinker size to get the bobber sitting how you want it. This also helps to keep your bait down to where you want it. After the sinker you will want to put on another bead to keep the sinker from hitting your swivel. Tie the swivel on and all you have left is to tie your hook on to the swivel. You can buy pre snelled hooks or tie your own. I tie my own because I like different hooks and depths than the ones i can buy, and its much cheaper.

When just getting started it might be best to buy what you can just to make it less aggravating when you learn how to tie the knots. I like to try these at home and not on the water. You can also try out sinker sizes with your bobbers in a bucket full of water to see what you like. Also after fishing for a while check your line and beads for wear and tear and retie as needed.

To simplify it goes like this.
    Slipbobber knot, bead, bobber, bead or aquarium tubing, sinker, bead and swivel. Then your hook from the swivel.