Slip Floats

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by cary, May 29, 2006.

1. cary

cary New Member

I want to try using a slip float to keep bait off bottom, do I get them
    weighted or not weighted? Also how do you put them on your line?
    Thank you for any info!!

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Slip bobber fishing is about one of my favorite ways of fishing. The main advantage of using a slip bobber is that you can set the depth as deep as you want, yet still cast because your Bobber stop can go through the guides and even be wound on the reels. You can buy stops or "knots" at your tackle shop or do as I do and make them. Very simple, take a short length of braided line, but it next to your main line and make a loop as you would for an overhand knot but make about 5 loops instead of one wrapping it around your main line. Moisten, pull tight and trim! Now slide your bobber on, you may want to add a bead next to keep your snap swivil from getting stuck in the tube. I just pinch on a split shot about 6 inches from my hook. If you want your bait suspended five feet below the surface, slide the stop 5 feet from your hook. When you cast out, the split shot and bait will pull five feet of line out until the stop comes to rest on top of the bobber. You can easly change depth my sliding the stop. The weighted ones allow you to cast further using lighter weight or none at all (live bait)!
    At the top of this page are some links, one of which is the "Library". You can find information on this and many other subjects written by very knowledgeable brothers and sisters of the B.O.C.
    Good luck and Tight Lines!

3. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
  4. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    i prefer the weighted ones, because you don't need much weight below the float. some guys don't use any weight below the float, just let the weight of their bait pull it down. makes a good rig for the "light bite" when they just tap it, or are "mouthing" the bait

5. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I for one have never tried it, but I have thought about using a float on my next trip.

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I like weighted floats better, cigar type. Seems to help the bobber sit up right and makes for easier casting.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    U can get the underweighted float, and put as much weight as u need.

8. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    I often use slipfloats for light biting cats that wont take the bait if they feel any resistance.

9. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I've seen bobber stops at Walmart and wondered how to use them. Is this pretty much just for baitcasters, or will the work on a spinning reel? All I can see in my mind when I try to picture using this on my spinning reel is me trying to cast and having it snag up as it tries to go through the guides on the rod, or worse, pulling some line off the spool with it as it leaves the spool and causing a great big birds nest.

10. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I use them on my 310x ultra lite, for catching bait it works fine on spinning reels.

11. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Have any of ya'll tried using them for bottom fishing? I sometimes use them with slack line bait on bottom by setting it about a foot deeper then needed. This gives your bobber a foot of free line before it hits the bobber stop. When a fish takes off on a run the bobber will go under,if they are just playing with it the bobber won't move.

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Phillip, thats some fine info!

I use them on my crappie rigs.

13. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
  14. tocold4u2

tocold4u2 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i will sometimes use the unweighted floats, i can check the depth of a area i`m fishing . the float wont stand if it`s set too deep,,,,
    :smile2: :big_smile_2: i uas small rubber bands as stopper for the slip floats
    hope this helps
    :001: