Slip-Floats On The River = Cats!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Apr 3, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bobbers for catfish! Who would have thought? I first saw a show nearly 15 yrs. ago by In-Fisherman. They where experimenting with the use of floats on small streams and rivers for catfish. Most traditional ways have been a simple Carolina Rig, Staight Rig, or a 3-Way either modified to some sort, or as is. Let me be the first to say, I was very leary about using floats, especially after dark to try for flatheads. I have always been a versatile dude. But, when the question was raised to me, and the unknown raising havioc on my brain, I had to try a new way of fishing for cats that was uncomfortable to me . Luckily I was comfortable with slip-floats due to my use with them for other species like crappie, bluegill, smallmouth etc. I think float fishing is one of the funnest ways to catch fish! Little did I know that a float can be used in more ways than one. Possibly some day it will be recognized as the most influential fishing tackle known to mankind! Most look at the bobber as the first type of fishing we were all taught at an early age. Either going with our father or a relative to a local waterway, to catch our first fish on worm and bobber to start the addiction at a young age of the outdoors and the memories for a lifetime. Well, the evolution of the bobber has came a long way in my opinion. There are many different shapes and sizes than 20 yrs. ago. Many are made out of the latest material being more bouyant and durable. Many in different colors! But, the bottom line is, it still serves the same purpose as always! May have been harder to use at times, But... has always been a good means towards fishing. I have been likesaid using bobbers, floats on the river, and in the lakes now more often. I actually got laughed at last year in one particular tournament by my partner for rigging a float with a livebait up until it landed the biggest fish of the night! NO LIE! When I lake fish, I rarely fish without a float! It is so versatile. It keeps your livebaits suspended upright. This allow them to stay lively longer not tireing to the weight of a sinker or a rig as much. You can also float baits into or along structure closer using a 3-way rig under it still, but allowing for a more verticle lift when retrieving keeping you from dragging through the roughest areas. It also allows you to setup at the head of a prime areas better. By sitting up father out from the bank you can use the float to drift your baits for long distances through the prime spots, often recasting and covering water quicker this way. Do I think this is the best way to target flatheads? NO! I think you can easily float baits to quickly this way through some areas. But, I have found if you fish this with some other rigs. EX. if your buddy fishes back to the prime area, but away a bit with the traditional bottom rig, you can fish the structure more closely with a pole and a float. This way you are still fishing the area through, not missing on any usual areas, but are extending your horizon some. Most fish I caught last year on the slip-float and livebait after dark were caught in spots that person would not cast to. These are spots that are mostly submerged structure areas you can not see from the surface. To give another example... " Have you ever known a spot you always fish around?" " You always cast to the outter edges??" This is where I cover the area better with the float!!! Set the stop knot at a shallow depth at first!!! Esp. if you don't know how deep the structure is submerged, and you can raise or lower it accordingly. You will be amazed how you ratio will improve. I usually always fish back to the spot by anchoring upstream and use the current to move the float into prime spots.. If lake fishing, a float is good anywhere!!! The water often gets dead at night with little or no wind! And a lack of current! Use the float and let your bait do its deal to cause the commotion nessessary often to call that BIG BOY IN!!!! goodluck to all, hope I didn't ramble to long!:wink: rollo

2. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    Rollo,
    I have tried this a few times on the Ohio river mostly at night and I have caught a few fairly nice fish, no true monsters but 10-15 lbs I usually use this method in spots where the water is moving really slow and usually on nights with little or no wind. I prefer to fish on the bottom but I never discount using a slip bobber if things get a little slow it's all about getting the bait to where the fish are just my .02 worth :big_smile:

3. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i use em quite a bit,i like to see my bait swimming around and let it drift and cover a bigger area.plus,at night,with a glow stick on it,theres nothing like seeing your bait bouncing it around,or maybe seeing your bait get hammered and the bobber drops like a lead boot.

4. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc:cool2:

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    This is a great technique for bank fishermen to "drift" fish for cats. I have had a large amount of success with this.

6. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    I can't agree more.

7. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    why is there such a stereotype against floats, especially around here in dayton, alot of people bunch float users as pay lakers but i agree floats have there place, cause if there not on the bottom there on the roam and up off the bottom and usually within a 1-3 feet from the bottom.

8. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How do you keep them up with all the current? I always seem to have a lot of trouble even keeping a bobber with live bait in one place on a lake, seems like it would be harder on a river. I'm sure it does work well when you get the technique down.

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    well, on the river I anchor and sit with the current, always fishing back to the area using the current to carry the float. I make a cast in the direction where i want the bait to float through, sometimes having to redirect it with the rod. If I don't like the location, I reel in and try again. On the lakes its alittle more difficult like you said. Lakes often get dead at night with the lack of wind and current. This is why I prefer longer rods, and braid to be able to cast farther and let my baits just swim accordingly. I use glowsticks on my bobbers to help keep sight! I often have to move baits around still, but we try to leave enough area between our rods to compensate for the left and right swimming of them. Great way to cover an area though!! If they swim into the bank, you simply have to re cast.. Trust me, this is alot of work compared to casting a bottom rig and waiting. You can't go to sleep, and have to be on top of your game for the entire night! But, the rewards can be good for the work and effort. hope this answers your question better. If not let me know.:big_smile:........rollo

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Rollo,

How do I fish with a slip float from the bank? Should I cast upstream and let the it float downstream? After it gets downstream, do I just reel in my bait and cst upstream again? Wouldn't that kill the bait with multiple cast?

I have caught channel cats using slip floats but no flatheads. I want to be allittle versatile this year and use slip floats.

11. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    My first big flathead I caught was on a float. I like to anchor upstream from a snag or log jam and toss the rig in front and let the bait swim around. Also where there is alot of debris on the bottom I will set the my bait about 2 ft. off the bottom to avoid hang ups. When I am fishing for channels in snags or drift piles I will put a small egg sinker on and let the current push the float against the structure. With the light weight the bait flows deep under the structure where cats often are during the day.

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Blacky, bankfishing on the river would be extremely difficult to float fish. When dealing with the horizontal current, you need to sit with it, likesaid from a boat. when i bank fish lakes, I don't have to deal with the fast current from the moving water...rollo

13. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I like them for drifting !!!

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i mainly like the floats on the river for them structure graveyards no one wants to stop and fish because of the debris. the places that hold the highest lead content!:smile2: all jokes aside, learn these areas, including the depths of the structures and fish a few feet over them......hold on! :wink: rollo

15. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    if you bank fish and want to use a bobber go with the bobber with a brain they work great from the bank

16. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    If you want to use a bobber from shore, use a three way rig. Your bobber has to be large enough to hold your bait plus your lead. You can use 16 oz's of lead with a big enough bobber.

The length of your sinker leader determines the distance of your bait from the bottom in current.

You want to use enough weight to hold the bait in one spot but light enough that you can lift it by tugging on the bobber. You then proceed to bounce it downstream.

17. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    get the Wild Wolf Cat Bobbers.They are big enoughfor just about anything and easy to see.

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Hey Rollo!

Give me some tips how to fish a slip-float standing atop a bridge? Would that be like fishig off a boat at an achored position?

19. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I supose it would work blacky, i would defienety use a long surf rod to cover line for the hookset better, especially if the bridge sits very far above the water. thats alot of extra line out. how do you plan to land one? I supose if you had a buddy with you he could go down the bank to net, but...that kinda sounds like a disaster to me..lol...let me know how it goes.....rollo

20. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    We use what you call a bridge net. It's a big round/circular net that is attached to a long rope. You just drop it down and when the fish is in the net, you pull it up.

But yeah, without a bridge net, someone has to go down to the bank.