Slip Float Vs Bottom Fishing?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CJ21, Nov 29, 2007.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Guys you know but it I am mostly a Slip Float Fisherman when it come to catfishing. I have caught a few catfish on the bottom, every time I rig up one with a float and one on the bottom the slip float rig always outfishes the bottom rig so I pefer the slip float rig and plus the slip float rig keep me out of the snags and rocks. I am wondering should I stick with the rig that works for me?

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Cj you know the old saying if it aint broke it don't need fixing if your catching them on the slip float i'd stay with that :wink:

3. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I always try to fish both. Sometimes I catch more on bottom and sometimes more on the slip float. I really enjoy fishing the slip rig because it is more entertaining to watch. I've also almost lost a rod and reel when not watching the slip rig because a big o'cat tried to pull it in.

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    both have there time and place for me. current fishing is bottom fishing but fishing structure for flatheads i like slip corks. slip corks work well for thermocline fishing in the summer months as well at times. slip cork fishing can be very entertaining/effective at times. adding a small float to your leader when bottom fishing might work well for you in the rocks as well. both work very well at there time and given place.

5. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I agree with Michael. Both have their place. on th sand flats we have here in my home lake, carolina rigs work best cuz th water is usually less than 4 feet. at the other end of th lake at th spillway, slip floats work best to keep you up off th bottom. I say if it aint broke dont fix it. just remember they both work, just in different areas an different times.

6. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    How deep do you all set your slip floats for? What is the depth from the top of the water and how far above the bottom is good? When you say slip float, are you talking about a standard bobber?

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am talking about a bobber that has a hole in it. It depends on out deep the river is on how I set my.

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'm like you. I use both also. For the depth of the slip-bobber I just keep adjusting it until I find the cats. I'd say just keep on doing what you're doing. I love Gene's kat-bobbers because they can handle lots more weight and bait than any other bobber out there. I've tried them all and Gene's wins hands down every time!

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thanks John that is very good encourgement.

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks C.J.!
    The other good thing that you already mentioned is hang ups. I don't get snagged near as much when I use a slip bobber. I also like how you can float it right over structure and entice the cats to come out to play.:wink::smile2:
    Also if you use a rubber band(as a second bobber stop) under the bobber you will 99% of the time get your float back if you get snagged. I think i'd cry if I lost one of my kat-bobbers!:wink::smile2:

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I got premier catfish stalker floats today from catfish connection, I cant wait to try them out. thanks for the tip john.

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I wish you the best of luck!
    Can't wait to see some pics of your new PB soon!!!:wink::big_smile:

13. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great idea!! Gonna have to use it...

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I also rig up my New Abu 6500C3 with a three swivel rig its my favor bottom fishing rig, I am going to see what happen with that.