Slip float tangle

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flathead_ky, Apr 24, 2006.

1. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I had some issues with my slip float rig this weekend. It seemed that after I cast out sometimes and my bait settles to the depth I have it set for, when I reeled it in it would be twisted and tangled. Im thinking my line is sinking near the slip float and getting it tangled when my bluegill or chub is swimming around. I was told to put a straw above the slip float and it will keep my line from sinking down and getting tangled. Has anyone had this problem and how would you take care of it?

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    The line above your slip float was tangled with the line below it?

Maybe you need a bit more weight below the slip float - enough to hold your bait fish at the depth you want it. Vary the length of the leader below your sinker and swivel to give the bait room to swim.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    i totally agree,i've had the same problem and the straw float will take care of that.i use big bluegills and used to have the same problem until i used a straw float.hope this helps you out!!!

4. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    there are a few things you can do. you probably need to stretch your line. if your line is real curly, it will cause a bunch of twists and tangle near your bobber. this usually isn't a problem with braided line. braided line doesn't curl up and take the form of the real. if you are using mono, stretch your line out. even if you are not using a slip float, if you are using mono, stretch your line every few trips. it will help you cast further too.

now to the straw. you should find something like a straw but stronger. your line will tear up a straw after a few hours if you are using live bait.

to set it up, this is the order i put everything on. first, bobber stopper, then bead, straw, another bead, slip float, weight, then hook. the straw will work to decrease tangles, but, having your line stretched should fix most all the problems you have. hope i helped.

5. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    Here's my large live bait rig.

Attached Files:

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    i agree abt tearing up the straw,i use a harder plastic type straw not a regular one.the kind i use comes with some of the latex balloons,they are the handle for them.i know someone that works at wally-world and got several of them,and bought my own floats and made them myself.i guarantee the bait won't tear these up!!!!!

7. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    Using the straw should fix your problems. Good luck and tight lines.