Slip Float Rigs

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Ky_Katter91, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Alright everyone. I hear a lot of talk of people using slip float rigs to target trophy flatheads.
    I've done this a few times, but I've also had a few problems with my live bait tangling my line up.
    The rigs I've used are essentially the carolina slip sinker rig with a slip float.
    What are some ways to use a slip float without my bait tangling up?
    I would like to get as much input on this subject as I can, as I feel there are a few of the holes that I fish that would produce a lot more flatties using a float.

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I use the Kat slip bobbers from WildWolf.You can put more weight on them,I keep the leader below the swivel short(6-8"),this keeps your bait down where it,s supposed to be and keeps it from getting tangled up.:wink:

3. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    Try using a single drop rig.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Use a float straw, they are about 24 inches long and keep your line from dropping down where your bait is..you can buy them online, I also have seen them at many tackle shops

5. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Thanks guys.

6. katsandsuds

katsandsuds New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I have been using slip floats the last couple of months, and they are producing fish when the bottom rigs are not. I make my floats out of pool noodles. I use 3" and 4" chunks of noodle with dip cans or other plastic glued to the ends. Take a small straw or coffee stir stick glued through the center of the noodle and plastic for the line to slide through, add a bead and bobber stop (I use rubber bands for stop knots), small weight and short leader, then off you go. The pool noodles come in two sizes, I use both the larger and smaller size depending on the size of bait I am using. You can also add the glow sticks from wild wolf products (sponsor on this site in case you did not know), just drill a hole in the plastic and push it down through the noodle and it holds fine. I typically don't have trouble with the fish tangling up, except for the time I wasn't thinking and grabbed my pre-tied leader with a float instead of just the hook, so the bait floated up and got wrapped around.

I also try to fish floats where there is good current or wind to keep the bobbers pushed away from the boat so the line that sinks in the water stays streched somewhat. Also I use mono. When I tried braided line last year, it floated alot (which I did not like). Not sure if all braid floats or not, but using braid that floats will help keep the line on the surface and less chance of tangling.

7. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I use a hook 12 inches of leader a barrel swivel a egg sinker on mainline that will rest against the barrel swivel and a bobber,pretty much just a straight set-up rig and have never had any tangling problems,how are you hooking your bait,this has alot to do with it,if you hook then on top behind the dorsal fin they should swim down trying to get away and not tangle up your line.

8. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    I hook them in the top, but a lot of it may be the size of my bait too and not enough weight?
    I normally use bluegills anywhere from 7-9", and with a few of my floats being the weighted bottom type I don't want to put on too much weight. Usually about a half oz egg sinker; with a red flourescent bead tied 10" from my hook to keep the sinker from sliding down to the bait.

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Interesting stuff,, I've been trying to use floats,, but, no success lately..

will try shortening up the leader,, that may help my rigging.

10. flatheadsteve

flatheadsteve New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i catch alot of my flatheads using slipfloats drifting a hole or cover... i use a straw float above my float, they are normally 24in. when you buy them but i cut them down to be just longer than my slip float, you dont need all the 24 inches it throws off your depth and isnt needed to keep you from getting tangled. ill post a pic of my rig.

11. flatheadsteve

flatheadsteve New Member

State:
    Ohio
    kinda blurry but heres how i do it.
    first put your float stop on your line
    1. the straw float
    2. your slip float
    3. a bead or some rubber airline tubing, it protects your knot alot better than beads.
    4.egg sinker heavy enough to balance your float correctly
    5. another bead or airline tubing.
    6. your swivel
    7. leader and hook.

Attached Files:

12. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I use the Fat Kat, Kat Bobber from Wild Wolf Products. It will hold a 7" perch plus a 2oz egg sinker easy. I jus use 6" of line below the swivel and have never had one tangle up. Plus if you night fish you can put a glow stick in it. The hook will set its self also. Not sure if those cigar and home made floats will do that. The resistance of the KB going under will allways set the hook, at least for me it does. Good luck.

13. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Circles and J hooks both Brent? Thanks in advance.

Ray