Slip float Rigs for catfsih?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by indiana_fishin, Apr 4, 2006.

1. indiana_fishin

indiana_fishin New Member

State:
    Indiana Baby
    I just started using a slip float rig from the shore last year.I have to say ive been very successful day or night.The problem is im not always sure if my baits where i want it to be(right off bottom)Since im on the bank I have no radar to tell me water depth n such.How do u guys deal with this?Walk out in the lake and find out?Throw ur float out there way deep,and just keep readjusting(trial and error)to get it right off bottom?

2. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Well I've done both, but I set it at the depth ya would like to fish say 6ft. If it's less than 6' the float will not float right. So ya adjust untill it gets there.
    Now on the other hand what I like to do is get a small slip float and rig it below the egg sinker, bead and swivle. About 5 to 6" above the hook. This will keep the bait floating off the bottom and the cats don't mind it at all. I've even had them bite the float before. (could see bite marks on it).
    Fish with a tight line and watch for the rod to dip.
    Do ya add a beel on the tip of yer pole for night fishin'? I really like to do this cause I fish with 3 or 4 poles and it makes it easy to know which one had the hit.
    Good luck out there.

3. indiana_fishin

indiana_fishin New Member

State:
    Indiana Baby
    nah no beeds here.I dont fish circle hooks and it seems I lose alot of fish if i tightline without.Theyll usually jerk the pole a few times and let go.I fish with a open bail.I cut a square off a white stirofoam cup and cut a slit down the middle.Ill attach this2 my line right above the 1st eye on my rod.So when fish on i can see the foam run up the line 2 the second eye.Its ez 2 see and even makes a light rapping noise when banging on the 2nd eye,so its a good warning

4. Chucklehead

Chucklehead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like slip float rigs, they are great tools. I set my bait depth anywhere from 3 feet deep to the lenght of my rod that I happen to be using. I like to tightline also, but I will rig it so the bait is off the bottom. Catfish are more likely to take the bait if it is off the bottom, give them a chance to mouth the bait before they take it. Sometimes they will bump the bait to taste and see if it is worth a second look, so I give them every opportunity to try it. If they like it, they will hit and run with it. You also might try a balloon for a slip float. It is a great way to cover a lot of water from the bank or boat.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Last year I mostly use slip floats, they work well when u can find the cats. But this year I am going bottom fishing.

6. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I usually set mine at 3ft as well, seems to be a good depth.