Slip float rig

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by MuDD_Cat23, May 20, 2008.

1. MuDD_Cat23

MuDD_Cat23 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    How is this rig effective and whats the best way to use it and how deep to fish it

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Welcome to the BOC. The slip bobber rig is effective because you can choose the depth you want to fish.In rivers you can cover more water and drift around snags keeping your bait and sinker off of the bottom,avoiding hang-ups.In lakes and reservoirs you can adjust the depth to where the fish are feeding. Contrary to belief cats are not strictly bottom feeders. Find a school of shad and set your rig to that depth and you can almost guarantee some cats.They also work as a stike indicator and hook set if you use the Kat Bobbers form Gene at Wild Wolf Products, a BOC sponsor.They have a flat bottom that can hook the fish with a circle or a khale.They are also capable of remaining bouyant with large baitfish.They are an excellent tool for catfishing but take a little gettin used to, especially on rivers.I throw it upstream and reel it in as it comes down and let line out as it passes, lifting my rod tip to move it right around snags.When you see the bobber go down reel in until you feel the fish, set the hook and bring him in. Give it a try, you may be suprised.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Shane, Welcome to the B.O.C. I think your question was fairly well answered in the above post. However, I noticed you had a big goose egg by your number of reps...so I'll send you some. Keep posting.

4. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    What Kyle said!--Now get 10 posts so you can see the fun stuff.

5. MuDD_Cat23

MuDD_Cat23 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    When using the slip float rig i understand i belive to put the bobber on ur main line then the bobber then a egg sinker then a swivel then a leader line with the hook and live bait. Is that right. and also will the bobber stop prevent u from casting it that well on a baitcaster reel or do u have to stop it at the top and toss it out and let the current take it. this is the thing im not getting cause if ur fishing a 30 foot hole and u wanna get ur bait off the bottom a foot then u need to put ur bobber stop around 25 or so foot so thats the thing im not getting. and using a slip float rig how far off the bottom should u be fishing

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    THAT IS WHY YOU USE A BOBBER STOPPER ,ONCE YOU ATTACH IT TO YOUR LINE AND CUT ANY ACCESS OFF YOU SET IT AT THE DEAPTH AND REEL IT UP AND THEN CAST IT WHERE YOU WANT IT AND THEN IF YOU MOVE JUST ADJUST TO THE DEAPTH YOU WANT IT. :0a26:

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dont worry about the knot. it will reel up and cast fine. keeping just off the bottom is'nt so important. if you want to fish just off the bottom keep it within a foot or so. but, i catch most of my catfish with bobbers no more than 10 foot deep. I mostly use bobbers in lakes. In which i locate moss lines and fish the edges from 4-10 foot. let it drift or cast it right next to the edge. I look for underwater structure, points, coves with dropoffs, etc, etc. catfish suspend over irregular bottom depths. also when fishing with a bobber, make sure your leader is just shorter than the bobber. or you'll find yourself getting your bait tangled with the line on top of the bobber. when you cast the bait flies along side of the bobber. if the leader is longer than the bobber it sometimes gets tangled. I also use unweighted bobbers so if your bait is on the bottom it wont stand up. so now you know to adjust to get it off the bottom. a weighted bobber will stand upright and you'll never know.

8. natethe great

natethe great New Member

State:
    North carolina

ok im having problems with the knot everything else is fine my problem is when im reeling it up the knot gets stuck on my first eyelet and therefore goes all the way down to the bobber itsself so if yall can explain this please do ill switch rigs before i switch rods

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I never used a float before but bought some of Genes floats at the gathering last week. I'm thinkin i can drop it in some tree tops and at least have a better chance than casting into them. There not expensive and Arkwolf is a heck of a nice guy. pick ya up a few, i think you'll like em.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome to the BOC, Shane. I use a slip float rig all the time, I love using one and its fun to see it go under. It also keep you from getting hang up.