Slip Float Rig?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CJ21, Oct 21, 2006.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am wondering do u guys have anytips on rig a slip float rig? I know how to rig one I am wondering are there ways to do it better? though about using bigger floats and a egg sinker and maybe a swivel.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC

3. Bryan Roseberry

Bryan Roseberry New Member

Does the bobber stopper not get snagged or cause a rat's nest with a spinning real? Could one also be used with like a Zebco 33?

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    With spinning rigs, I don't like the stopper to be set any deeper than the length of the rod. That way, it doesn't hang on the roller. I've not had much luck with spinning rigs and slip float, except when in shallow water...less than 7 ft deep. It should work well on the 33 as long as the stopper knot doesn't go with the line up into the closed face of the reel, again best in shallower waters. If using a bobber stopper and slip float rig, my best experience has been with baitcasters.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats how I use the slip float rig, on a baitcaster rig.

6. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Hi Warrior.
    I just went last night to K-mart and bought me a Slip bobber float, after reading about it on BOC. It comes with a float, bead and bobber stop. I took it out to the aqueduct this morning to give it a try and had no luck after about four hours, but that was no surprise as Bakersfield, paper says the Aqueduct is the worst place in the state to fish right now, and I can believe that, as I have not got a bite in the last three times out. I usually fish with the slip sinker set up are the slip bait set up, and thought maybe if I changed to something else that mite work. Was I mistaken. Guess I will just have to go back to shooting Squirrels,till the fish get hungry again and leave the fishing to you guys hear on the BOC .
    Catfish slick

7. catfishcrazyjr

catfishcrazyjr New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i use a 1 liter pop bottle for a float when i fish in the summer

8. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks Zakk very informative.

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thanks Zakk for the inflo:big_smile:

10. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I plan to start using a slip bobber next summer. Does everyone use the kind with the knot and bead, or the tiny plastic stopper that you thread the sting through? Which works better with a spinning reel?

11. jga

jga New Member

State:
    missouri
    hey kat,
    I've had luck on a large balsa float(plastic stopper style) set to depth (just off bottom),and an egg sinker slider between the float and treble hook baited with chicken liver. If my memory serves me correctly this set up worked well on a very windy day. The wind was moving our poles and lines making it difficult to discriminate between a strike and the wind. The hi-visibility float was a good indicator that day. I've also known people to use pop bottles or sports drink containers for successful floats.

12. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    If the eye in the end of your rod is big enough then you should not have a problem with the stop knot hanging but you have to trim back the lose ends of the knot. I use them all the time and where I fish is most of the time around 7 to 9 foot. As long as the stop knot does not get in the real you will be fine. Now most of the time I real the stop knot up to the top eye and give it a whirl and it does pretty good.{just takes a little practice with that much line out} oh I also use 9 foot rods.

13. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Oh yea! A big welcome to jga from the family at BOC! Were practically neighbors. Wanna hook up sometime and go to Thomas Hill or Mark Twain? P.S. Nice avitar! Do you not have photos of yourself, or just too ugly?

14. jga

jga New Member

State:
    missouri
    thanks for the welcome man. I dont have any photos of me on this computer and I'm probably too computer stupid to put one on here. I'll work on that though. Speaking of avitar photo's, is that you and your girlfriend?

15. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    No that's my personal muscle man. He's around to hold up the fish that I catch that are too big for me to hold up. Also, when I knock something in the river, he's the only one brave enough to retrieve it.

16. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jeremy. Good to see another Mo. member.