Slip Float Instructions

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by dcaruthers, Jul 31, 2006.

1. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Had a member ask me about slip floats so I thought I would post this for everyone to see. There may be many ways to use slip floats, but this is how I set mine up and had the most success.

I use the largest weighted slip floats you can find at Walmart. When setting up take everything off your line and do the following:

Each package should contain a float, slipbobber, and two beads.

1 - Slide a bobberstop up you line about 4-5 feet and tie it by: slip the string knot off the plastic tube and onto your line (slide the plastic tube all the way off your line and dispose of it. Then slowly pull the loose strings hanging off both ends of the knot in opposite directions until supertight. Clip the strings off the knot leaving about 1/16 inch.

2 - Slide on a small bead to protect the knot when the bobber hits it.

3 - Slide your bobber on making sure the lead weighted bottom is toward the end of your line.

4 - Slide on an egg shaped weight about 1/2 oz in weight.

5 - Slide on a bead to protect your knot on the swivel and then tie on a swivel.

6 - Tie on your leader and hook and your ready.

The bobber knot may be slid up the line to your desired depth. If your bobber sinks then your bait and terminal tackle are too heavy. Try smaller size baits or larger slip floats. I buy extra packs of slip knots (about 99 cents at wal Mart) because the knots are cloth and wear out after a few outings. If they lossen, they can not be tightened and you have to put a new one on. The knot can be set very deep - they just reel up on the reel when you reel them in. Remember that when you cast to give a few taps on your line to make sure your line is falling through the slip float. The slip float should be verticle if everything is ok. Sometimes, because I cast hard, the terminal tacle tangles up with the float...just keep a check on this. Also, if you set it deep then expect your line to come back towards you as the line falls through the float. This is normal.

Try different depths until you find the fish. This has been very effective for me. I have learned that catfish do not root around on the bootom for food although they will eat off the bottom. A catfish's eyes are on top and they prefer to hit their food from the bottom up.

Good luck.

Check out these pics:

Attached Files:

2. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Thanks, David - this is really helpful. I've been wondering how to get my bait at the right suspended depths. Now I know :smile2:

4. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    No problem Pat...glad to help. Please post any pics so I can get some warm fuzzies.

5. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Here is a flattie I got while slip bobber fishing with my new Kat Bobber from Maine Wolf Products(BOC sponsor) last night.

17lb flattie

It was rigged with a bobber stop, bead, 4.5in kat bobber, 3oz egg sinker, 12in leader with a 8/0 gamakatsu octopus circle hook, and a 8in bullhead.