Slip Float Fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Arkie55, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    This is another tactic I'm very weak on. Someone with a lot of experience please write a Ho To on this subject. Inclued both slip float fishing in rivers and lakes. What conditions cause you to choose the slip float presentation over bottom fishing? What rigging do you use? Which float is best for what conditions? Biat of choice? Weight? Anything and everything on this subject please.

2. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Terry I'll try to get this started since I love float fishing.
    Fishing with floats are great first you need a the right size of float which is decided on the size of bait and lead used Thill bobbers are the best. You first put on a bobber stop which is a threaded pre-tied knot you can buy in most tacle shops. Do not get the little plastic tab type bobber stops because they just suck. Slide the pre-tied knot up your line and remove the plastic tube toward the tail end of the leader and toss it. Next you need a bead with a small enough hole so the bead won't pass the bobber stop. Next you can slide the bobber on. Next is a weight decision, you could put a sliding sinker or split shots I would try split shot because you can adjust without re-tieing the rig as you would with the sliding sinker. Next you tie the swivel on. Next you tie the leader to the end of the swivel. Next you tie your hook on making the leader the desired size maybe 12-18''. The object of the game in most cases is to adjust the sliding knot so your bait is running just above the bottom free of structure and in the fishes face.

That's the basic rig for both river and lake float fishing.

River fishing you want to use a very long rod with a lighter tip and solid backbone. The long rod will allow you to feather the line free of the current as you are drifting down river. What I mean here is you lift the long rod up gently not pulling the bobber but just the line and bring the line to the up river side of the bobber. The line will again go past the bobber because the bobber moves slower because it has lead and bait slowing it down.

Lake fishing you really want to plant the bobber and bait where the fish are like in structure and I would recommend a strong line and leader when fishing for cats because you might have to moose the fish out of the structure before it can snag you up. Try casting past the target and then letting the bait drop into the spot after reeling up to it. Mono line is best for float fishing because the super lines like spider and powerpro can cut the bobber which will prevent it from sliding. When fishing lakes wind can also help cover more ground in this case you would fish it like a river casting it up wind and repeating this as it reaches the end of it's drift.

The basic float rig decribed above will work for all species. You will need to adjust outfits depending on species you are fishing for. Common sense will tell you bigger fish bigger rig. You can fish 50' deep with a float if you want.

Crappie go with 6lb test mono and a single split shot.
    Big cats go with 20lb test a large thill bobber and a small sliding sinker.

I fish waterdogs/muddpuppies,blugill,crawfish,minnows,worms,shrimp all under floats at times.

3. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Great post, tdpasser. I will give you points for it. Very straight forward and easy to understand for a beginning slip floater. Thus, I will not try to add to it.

Say, tdpasser (Terry), have you played around with any of the European float/slip float techinques. I have some of the wagglers etc but have yet to give it a good solid try. But, things I have read, really intrigue me. Like, stand up/lift up on the bite, rather than "go under". Logically speaking, I think they are really onto something and it would pay North American fishermen to try it out.

4. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Thanks Mike, I have not tried that method but would like to see how it works. I've seen float also used with the bobber stop up high enough to allow the bait to be completly on the bottom and bobber lays on it's side. Then when something messes with it the bobber reacts.

The other thing I'm interested in is a bottom rig with a float at the end of a triswivel and the bait on the side of the tri meaning you fish the bottom with a sliding sinker still but the float at the end prevents the live bait from reaching the bottom.

5. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Arkie;

All of the posts here are good. I have bobber or Float fished for years, There is something about seeing that fish mess with your bait and then really take it that is a fun thing. It is alsa a very productive way to fish. If fishing live bait on the bottom, them baitfish are always finding a rock or something to hide. With a slip bobber setup, the baitfish is suspended at what ever depth that you want it to be and it is at the mercy of the feeding fish. I personally have used every concievable float or bobber at one time or the other. I feel for Flathead fishing, there is not a better way to present a bait. about a year ago i got tired of fighting those balloons and mickey mouse bobbers you buy at wallyworld and designed a bobber just for catfishing and something that would handle what ever sized live bait i wanted to use. We make them now and a large number of the members here on the BOC love them. Like (tdpasser) posted just get yourself some of the pretied bobberstop knots or tie your own using embrodery thread that you can buy at the notions dept at walmart. while in that dept get you a bag of beads to put below the bobberstop knot. then thread your line through the float, sinker and then to a barrel swivel and tie on your leader. Ajust the bobberstop knot on your line to whatever depth you wanna fish at. Now the fun begins.

If you want to look at the ones we make go to:
    http://www.akwolf.com/MainWolf/katbob.htm we have 4 different sizes depending on how big of a bait you want to use or how much weight you wanna use. I have alsa attached a pic of how I set mine up. and info on tieing a bobberstop knot.

Just my 2 cents;

Gene

Attached Files:

6. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Hey guys,
    I really appreciate the adivse and replys. Gene, I'll be looking at your products. You still up around Mt. Home?

7. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    thats da way i do it too.only one diff i use floating line in lakes to keep from snaging. i have 2 slip sinker poles, i use this a lot with preprd bates on trebles. great job fellows

8. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Yep Arkie;

I am in Lakeview over near the Bull Shoals Lake Dam.

Gene

9. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    Boy those bobbers are huge, almost looks like jug fishing.:0a23:

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Those bobbers of Gene's flat out work! I haven't had the pleasure of drifting down the river with them but I will soon. Couple of pointers. I use 100 lb power pro with Genes bobbers and no problems yet. I also use no leader and tie directly line to hook. I hate diiferent knots, for I figure I am more likely to screw up than the line manufacturer, therefore my rig has 1 knot.