Slip bobbers

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Creteus, May 27, 2007.

1. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I've never used one and need someone to explain how they work. What keeps the bait from going all the way to the bottom if the line just slips through?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    As you read through the threads, you should see a thread "bobber stoppers" or some such thing. There has been a lot of brothers out there with their creations. LOL. You can purchase these bobber stoppers at your friendly, local Wal-Marts, Academy, Bass Pro, Cabela's, or just about anywhere tackle is sold. It is a device fastened to the line, usually working in conjunction with a bead, to stop the bobber (float, cork, etc) at a specified depth. If a commercial stopper is not available, or you don't want to use them, a rubber band tied on your line with a couple of square knots, in conjunction with a bead does the same thing. Also, you can use a heavier mono filament and tie it on your line to stop the bead at the desired spot. The main thing is the bead and you can pay for them in the fishing section at Wally's or go to the craft section and get about a hundred more beads for less price. Choice is up to you.

3. FishinFool

FishinFool New Member

State:
    Wilmington, OH
  4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats the way I use my bobber stops, tie em myself, theyre much cheaper.

5. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i use the cheapest of all rubber bands...48cent at walmart for like 50

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    U have to use a stop knot to make the bobber sit up.

7. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    slipbobber,

I would be interested to know, what size rubberbands do you use and "exactly" how do you tie them????Dwight

8. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "The smallest rubberbands that you could get away with" you what it to be small enough to past through the eyes in your rod".

as long as it keeps the bead in between the rubberband & the bobber.
    :0a26:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Deltalover"

9. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    shnia,

Thanks for the info....It seems the rubberband would make the "perfect" float stop simply because the rubber "grabs" the line and holds.....Dwight

10. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    MYSELF I USE THE SURE STOP BOBBER STOPPER. SMALL PIECE OF PLASTIC THAT HAS 5 HOLES THAT YOU RUN YOUR LINE THREW. THEY HOLD PERFECTLY AND I NEVER HAVE TO REPLACE THEM UNLESS I BRAKE A LINE.1.97 AT WALMART FOR 6 OF THEM

11. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I've always just used a plastic bead. I run the line through the bead, around, and loop it through the bead again. The line holds the bead in place, but you can easily slide it up and down to adjust your depth.

Beads aren't going to cast as well as bobber stops, because they can hang up unless you are fishing shallow as I usually do. Beads are very easy to rig and deploy though, and if you have a daughter, you are bound to have a lot of them lying around!

12. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use a trick that I learned on here for bobber stops: teflon tape. Just take a piece four inches long and roll it around into a small thin line. Next tie it with a granny knot a couple of times, trim the tag ends and you have a knot that will slide right through the guides as slick as grease.