Slip bobbers

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by tomcat85, Jul 28, 2006.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    hey brothers im thinking about getting some slip bobbers tomorrow but i really dont know how they work. can i just let it slide freely on the line so can fish off the bottom? would that work? any tips would be awesome thanks!

2. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    With a slip bobber you tie a stop knot above the bobber and put on a bead to stop your float a a disired depth ie just above the bottom. this will let you float your bait above the snags without getting hungup also you can set your stop as deep as you want the small knot goes easly through the guides. For rigging try the Thill site they have all kinds of info on bobbers.

Good luck

Ned

3. Tnbankfisher

Tnbankfisher New Member

State:
    tennessee
    the great things about slip floats are you can fish any depth of water by just sliding the knot up or down your line finding the right depth for some fishing action. You can be on the bottom or fish in one foot, it's quick and simple and saves from lots of hangups.

4. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Just a suggestion but one of the sponsors of this site sells a slip float specifically for catfishing (Main Wolf Products) and I have used them for several months. They are a bit expensive but the nice thing about them is they last forever and you can't lose one. They also accept the 8" glow sticks they sell two different way and they are easy on the eye at night to find and track. With the slip bobber system you can set your depth to what you want and quickly adjust depth up or down by sliding the slip knot up or down your line. I use a rather large weight under these bobbers to keep the line tight and get it down to my pre-determined depth in a hurry. I use .5 to 1.5 ounces of weight the reason I use a heaver weight is so I can drift and the movement of the drift isn't strong enough to bring my bait and weight up from the depths. If I used a smaller weight it would pull the bait and weight up until it was just under the float. At night with these floats and a glow stick when it goes under it lights up a huge circle of water so there is no doubt when you get a bite. We also use the 8" green light sticks for night fishing on the bottom, we just tape them to our rod tip with black electricians tap. We put them just behind the top eyelet and don't have any sticking out over the end of the pole so there is nothing to get line wrapped around and they bend with the rod perfectly.

5. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
  6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I have had great success with slip bobbers lately. It's the only thing I'm catching Blue Cats on right now in the lake. Fishing in 45-80ft of water with my bobbers set at 10-15ft deep.

7. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I use them to suspend baits over cover sinkers would hang up on, very good method.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Thats some good info. Thanks for sharing.

9. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    They're pretty much all I use.

10. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Helped me, Thanks