Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know I am rather partial to using slip bobbers for catfish, so I decided to do a little tutorial about slip bobbers in general & a little trick to thread braided line through them. First off I have never use the Cat Bobber that can be purchased from Wild Wolf products but I am certain that they would be no different to put on your line. There are a ton of different slip/pole bobbers out there as well as night bobbers, I took some picture of the various bobbers I have in my tackle bag to give you all an idea of what they look like. I prefer the "Nite Brite" pole bobber for my night fishing because they work great with braided line, the only draw back is the pen lights are a bit spendy.

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is some pictures of the 2 set ups I use. One is set up for Catfishing & the the other for Steelhead. The major difference is the length of the leader & the Corkkie on the Steelhead set up. The longer your leader the more likely it is you will get tangled up above the bobber, thus the corkkie, if the weight does not pull the line through & hang true under the bobber the corkkie will float away from the bobber or next to it, if it hangs true the corkkie will sit on top of the bobber. This is near impossible to see at night so I use a short leader to prevent tangling up, it still happens from time to time. Just remeber to have a bobber stop above the bobber & some kind of bead to inbetween the stop & bobber. I prefer the pre made ones for the ease & adjusability, plus they come with beads & the cost is rater minimal.

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you ever tried to thread braided line through a slip bobber you know how frustrating & time consuming it can be, try doing it in the dark. Here is a little trick I learned to save time & frustration. You will need a bobber, bobber stop, bead, weight, swivel, leader, hook, & enough mono line to go through the bobber a bit more than twice. I prefer to use at least 15#-20# mono for this but you can use whatever you have in the tackle bag/box. You want to put the 2 cut ends of the mono line together making a big loop at the other end of line. Feed both tails through the top of the bobber & pull them out the bottom leaving a loop at the top of the bobber.

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Once you have the loop at the top put the bobberstop on your line and lightly snug it down a good ways up the line, put the bobber stop bead on, (and corkkie if you are using one) then take your braided line & feed it through the mono loop, enought to go through the bobber. Then pull the mono line at the bottom through the bobber, this will pull your braided line through as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Once you have the braided line through the bobber slip your weight on the line & a bead or rubber bumper, tie your swivel on the your leader & hook. Now tyou are ready to set your depth on the bobber stop & snug it down good so it won't slip. Ready to fish!!!! The thing i like is you can always move the bobber stop up or down with the pre made stops. Hope this helps everyone & adds yet another tactic to the aresenal you can use to catch that personal best.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have used slip bobbers for several years. I use them for flats, channels and blues. I fish them in cover, riffels, troll (in boat and threw out and slowly reel in). I have caught lots of fish this way.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hope this has been helpful to anyone who struggled with putting braided line through a bobber. Everytime I learn something new I will try to pass it on, was kinda hard with just me & the camera, neat time I will try to get a buddy to take the photos so they make more sense. If ya know anyone who has not tried this to catch more fish pass it on. Thanx again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.