Slip bobbers - how deep do you set the bait?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by blindfly69, May 27, 2006.

1. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    ok i understand everything about the slip bobber set-up except for one thing.......how deep do you set the bait? lol

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    however deep you want it.i always use a small piece of rubber band tied on my line,and keep adjusting it until i find the fish.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    U set it whatever deap u think the fish at.

4. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i always start about 14 foot deep let the bait hit the bottom then see how far yer stop has to go then move it that much to then a little more so u can keep yer bait bout 4 5 inches off the bottem thats how i fish them hope this helps

5. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Most of my channel cat fishing is under a float.I start at about 12 in and work down 2ft at a time until i find where they are feeding.The water where I catch most of the larger fish is 15 to 35 ft deep.More often than not I find the cats feeding in the top 4 ft of water.

6. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I will set my slip bobbers depending on the time of day/night and what I'm targeting. Blues for the most part will suspend in the middle of the water column during the day chasing shad and other baitfish. Now if I'm fishing in 30feet of water I'll set up my bobbers to be in 15 to 20 feet down. Night fishing I'll set up shallow four feet or less to fish shallow flats. Flathead fishing I'll fish closer to the bottom a foot or two or just use a carolina rig instead. Nighttime for flatheads the same as blues and fish less the four feet down.