Slip Bobbers...give them a try

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by Dallison, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    If you're losing alot of sinkers you should try this fishing method. I know since I've been fishing this way the past couple weeks I've had people wonder why. I tell them I'm tired of getting snagged on the rocks and cables. Then they see I don't get caught when they are. The only thing is if your knot breaks....you lose your slip float... My new rule. Tie fresh knots every trip.
    good luck
    david

2. kathunter_64

kathunter_64 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    been catchin anything on the bobbers?

3. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    But then again I haven't lost a zillion sinkers. I haven't found the depth they are at. I use them mainly to keep from getting caught on cables and rocks. Its best for me to still fish on the bottom with the bobber but when I reel in it pulls the sinker up, then I pull it across the hangup areas. They may not be intended to be used this way but it has already saved me cash in weights.
    One day I will catch a fish...been skunked again tonight, fished with eel in the james. Tomorrow is my big fishing day.
    good luck

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bobbers work have been useing them over a year now and have had good luck with them, in fact going in the moring to fish some fallen trees and will use bobbers there.

5. Hummers4

Hummers4 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Greetings! I've used slip bobbers for years for largemouth bass. I have a bobber stopper tied above the bobber and split-shot 8" above the hook. How do you rig for catfish? What kind/size weight? Roughly how deep do you rig for? Thanks!

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Here is one way :

mainline - bobber stop - bead - cat float - egg sinker - bead - swivel - leader - hook.... ( put the beads where ever ya want really )

Its basically just set in a Carolina rig. BoC sponsors sell different cat bobbers or if your handy you can make your own.

This a very versatile rig . You can set it at any depth, cast it far, cover lots of area , use live bait, cut bait, drift over all timber...the list goes on. A very well worth method to explore.

Have fun with it and g'luck
    -Jim-

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Try the Wild Wolf katbobbers for great results.

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    unless you are using a float to present your bait to suspending fish or floating it just above some kind of sumerged structure your using it wrong.if you just put a float on to keep from getting hung up you may fish a long time without a fish.with the exception of blues cats normaly use structure so youve got to exspect some hand ups.

9. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    they make like a straw with a float on one end to use above the bobber.this holds the mainline out from your bobber,keeping it from falling down beside your bobber and getting wrapped up with your bait.that is a good piece of equipment to use if you are going to be using live bait.

10. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    There's no doubt I'm not using them as intended. I'm fishing on the bottom for blues. I'm using it to get up over all the dredged areas, rocks, cables ect. that my rigs are getting hung in when I reel in. They don't get hung up in the channel, they get lost 10 - 20 feet from shore in all the man made stuff. When I reel in the sinker goes to the top reels in over all that stuff. I've saved a ton in sinkers, hooks. ect. I figure its just a good investment and yes I did buy mine from Wildwolf just like I bought my Safari Rods from BOC members.:wink:

11. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    i have never tried the slip bobbers, but floating bait on a bobber along shady banks,early morn. till the sun gets high, has been very productive during these hot summer months. Only small ones 1-3 lbs range, but a lot of fun! Good luck fishing and see ya on the water real soon!:smile2:

12. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Ive had great luck using slip bobbers of all sizes for a variety of species. But id say that Ive always caught more kitties using a slip bobber. If the conditions will allow it, it's a great way to target suspended kitties.

wheelmobile07