Slip bobber vs bottom fishing?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CJ21, Oct 18, 2005.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have always had sucess with the egg sinker rig but not with catching cats. I have always caught cats on a bobber rig but never have caught any cats on a bottom rig. I am wondering should I stick to the way I been fishing or look for new ways to fish?

2. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I do mostly bottom fishing when on the bank. If water is very still I will use a slip bobber. Have had good luck both ways. I would stick to the way you catch the most fish and have extra pole's for trying other way's. Doesn't hurt to fish more than one pole with different set ups and baits.

Good luck

3. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

CJ 21
    it is best to stick with what has worked for you in the past,but it cant
    hurt to try other methods.the cats arent always on the bottom,EXAMPLE
    if you are fishing bottom and not producing set a rod up with a bobber and
    set it for the bait to be just off the bottom,no luck move the bait up 2 or3
    foot,keep doing this till you find them,they will at times be suspended at
    at a different depth,you should end up finding where they are,and about
    the time you do ,they probably will start hitting on the bottom again,it
    will a least give you something to do while you are waiting for a bite
    KIRK :D

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i have only used a slip bobber a couple of times. i just do better on the bottom

5. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I really prefer bottom fishing, because you can almost always find a catfish that is cruising around, face to the ground. I have had some success on bobbers, but they tend to drift too much for me, and unless you have a lighted one, they are hard to use at night, especially if fishing for smaller fish. The slip-sinker rig you can fish with just about anywhere, and you can either tight, or slackline it depending on what you need. The only place you really cant fish the slip-sinker is in a lot of wood, but a 3-way can cure that.

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I started off fishing with 2 10' poles with bobbers at paylakes. Now at ponds or other lakes I use 1 bobber pole and 1 bottom pole. I throw out the bottom pole and it usually justs sits there. I like my bobber cause you can find out depth and let it drift. It also allows you to suspend your bait at any depth. I will always fish with at least 1 bobber but I also have at least 1 pole on bottom and maybe 2. I usually catch more on bobber but they are hard to fish in current.

7. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    I always do better when fishing bottom. Of course I have had days crappie fishing with minnies and caught many a channel supended.

8. skippy

skippy New Member

State:
    cincinnati ohio
    I have always done good fishing on the bottom, but I would say do what works for u.

9. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    for me i have always done best while fishing bottom.never hurts to try new things.
    when i fish bottom i like to use simple carolina type rig that constist of my main line{40lb mono} 2oz no roll sinker{or how ever much weight you need to keep the bait in one spot} a glass bead then a 1/0-2/0 barrel swivel or cran swivel,then a mono leader{50-80lb} then tie my line directly to the hook,i like to snell my hooks..next time you go out depending on how many rods you can use set a couple for slip cork and a couple on bottom and see which one produces the most strikes.never hurts to try new things..good luck

10. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    How do you suspend a bait off the bottom using a bobber? Thanks for your time.

Jaime

11. bull_head

bull_head New Member

State:
    Laceyville, PA
    Jamie i will explain the rig i use since im familiar with it ...

k the fishing line comes off the pole and is feed throu a slip bobber in this case the line goes up throu the bobber and comes out the top .... at the top of the bobber a snap swivel is tied to the fishing line ....

attached to the swivel is a leader that is about 3 foot long .... 15 inches down this leader is where a hook is tied off and it comes off the leader about 3 inches ( think of a crappie rig or a perch rig ) ...... at the bottom of the leader is another swivel tied off .... just above the swivel is your weight ...

so when you cast the weight carries your bait to the depth you want to fish ... when the slack is taken up the bobber "tips up" .... and is set ....

when the fish takes the bait .... and starts his run the bobber will "tip down"
    that is when you know you have a bite ....

** note this will put bait about a foot or so off the bottom and if you attach another rigged leader at the second swivel this leader will be at the bottom

hope this paits a picture for you .... there were some pictures posted of this rig in the library at the old site .... but i dont have any pics of it myself ...

if i get around to it i will try to post one when i can ....

12. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    CJ;

You gotta try different things in your area use one rod with a slip on on the bottom.. Cats are always moving and changing so there feeding habits are gonna change meaning that how you catch them will be different. CJ you also gotta try different bait time etc. Sometimes a slip bobber will be better for the stituation sometimes fishing off the bottom will be. You just never know and by time you figgure that one sitution out those cats will have changed 50 different times. That why when i go I always try different things so I have a better chance of figguring them out.

13. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    A slip float rigs to suspend the bait at what ever depth you want to fish. You start with a line stop on you line , then a small bead the line goes through the float then a weight . next a swivel and your leader with hook. Slip flats come in all sizes to handle different weights.Catfish at times will be feeding on or near the surface.

14. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

CJ,

I know we spoke of this briefly in chat, but I'll reinterate it here since I need to talk about fishing more. LOL. I do the exact same thing that Dale does, and he's been fishing for cats for fifty years. LOL. The only thing I can tell you is don't make your bobber stop to thick because it could impede your casting by getting caught in the tip. Also don't make it too small because the bead will sometimes slip over the knot, and then it's no longer a "stop."

The weight is supposed to help suspend the bait properly, but don't place too much weight. If you're fishing with a weighted float you don't need a bunch of additional weight to get a good cast, but each situation is different. My theory is to use the biggest styrofoam float your wallet can handle (Catfish Connection has some that are called Catfish Stalkers). They'll stay afloat with a good size weight and you can stick a 1.5 inch glowstick in the side of it. If nothing else you can watch that glowstick bounce around all night, especially if you don't have a good fire going. LOL.

Side note: If you're buying glowsticks two to a pack you're paying too much!!! I've been fishing with a guy in the last couple of weeks who shells out three bucks for a six inch stick!!! There ain't that much fishing in the world, especially when you can get 100 of the 1.5 variety for 12 bucks off of Ebay!!!

Another good thing with those sticks is determining direction, which may help with hooksetting...all that being said, you can still fish tightline and get your bait of the bottom with the right type of float for dead/cut baits. Don't know how that would work for live fish though...

15. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like fishing the bottom,ive never had very good luck with a bobber,but i know folks who do very well with them.Alot of it is personel prefference.

16. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Thanks for the info Mike and Dale; I have an idea of what you guys are saying. I am visual learner though. I will have to actually read and tie the rig at the same time to better understand it.

Jaime

17. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    here is a pic of the rig i like to use.the sinkers is attached to 8lb test line and a swivel just incase the sinkers becomes stuck while im fighting a fish the weight will break off and i can still fgiht the fish.to make this rig suspend the bait all i do is add a 2" cigar float about 3" above the hook.

Attached Files:

18. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    i mainly fish off the bottom but thats only because im not 100% sure how to set up the slip bobber and i havent seen too many clear examples im a show me the picture type of learner lol :rolleyes: i have tried tying a couple of knots to keep the bead from flying up the line then i have tried the slip bobber,then the egg sinker,then another "stop" sinker and then the hook so i guess i was missing the leader line and the swivel? or the other way around? :confused:

19. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Thanks for posting your setup madkatter. It is hard to see; many thanks.

Jaime

20. Jagal

Jagal New Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    I thought this might be a little more help...plus I was really bored..lol...nevermind I can't even get the stupid picture to show up