Slip Bobber Tightlining?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jailcop2, Jul 29, 2006.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    What do you all think would happen if I was to use a slip bobber to keep my bait out of the rocks . What I was considering was t use a looper rig but instead of runniing my float out of the water , put my stop a few inches above my bait to help suspend it , sinker at the bottom . How would this work from the bank in current .
    Thanks
    Brian

2. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Brother,It sound's like your sinker would get hung up maybe????But Iv herd of not cutting the tag end of the line from your hook.leaving about 24 inches of line on your hook and hooking a flot to the line to keep the bait up.Let us know how it work's for ya.I hope you get a MONSTER CAT....:big_smile:

3. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Brian,

That would work fine, but you have to find the correct sixe float to use. To much and your bait would never see close to the bottom in any kind of current. Have you tried no roll sinkers set up drop shot. If you go heavy enough (3-5 oz), this will keep your bait where you drop it and keep it from rolling into a snag.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I am new to the slip bobber way of fishing. So far I can see some real applications. One of the BOC members, Tomahawk, turned me on to it.

I tried to fish for suspended fish today on my home lake with no luck. There was a lot of bait suspended, but no fish around. Earlier this week on Lake Norman we caught 25 blues on a morning trip and all were suspended at about 30-40 feet in around 60-70 feet of water. All fish were right above the thermocline.

5. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I put a bobber above the bate to keep it up away from the crawdads in rip-rap. They kept taking my bait under rocks and getting me hung up. I still loose a sinker or two but he bait stays out for the cats.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sounds like it could work well, just make sure to get the right size bobber.

7. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Should work, you might consider using something that is less likely to snag for a weight or less expensive. Old nuts, bolts or spark plugs, tied on with a lighter line so if it does get snagged you just lose your cheap weight. Weight tied on with 6lb line to the bottom of a three way swivel, your hook on 20+ lb line to the middle of the three way and your line to the reel to the the top of the three way.

8. I'd do some testing in a barrel of water or something to find that right size bobber or weight to make sure you still get that bait to sink and still have just enough to keep it above any snag areas.

9. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Sounds like it would work to me. A three way would do the same thing with the sacrificial weight as mentioned.

10. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I'm having the same kind of problem...current and the river isn't that deep where I fish, so it's hard not to let the current take my bait/hook and tuck it under a big ol' rock on the bottom! I tried the slip bobbers but it just carries everything down river and then gets hung up near the bank downstream! If I use alot of weight then I still get hung up on bottom. very frustrating sometimes.

11. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Thanks for all the input all ,I'll mess with it and see what happens .
    Brian

12. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Brian what you are suggesting is what the english carp fishers call a polyball rig. I use it a lot and it does keep the bait up , I put a slip sinker then a swivel then as much leader as I want and then a small float then the hook, I peg the float and then tight line it t kep the bait where I want it.

13. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    This is how is fish these areas I use a threeway rig 2 ft of 10lb line on the drop to the sinker 1 ft of 20lb leader to the hook with small float on leaderabout4 to 5 inches from hook.I use 20lb an 30lb on the main line.
    You will loose a few sinkers but usually save the swievel float an hook
    Loop

14. beagle1963

beagle1963 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use a sort of the Carolina rig. Two ounce weight, barrel swivel, 24'' or so of leader and a circle hook. I place a small foam float a rew inches below the circle hook to float it up and it works well for me.

15. beagle1963

beagle1963 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use a form of the Carolina rig. A two ounce weight, a barrel swivel, a leader of around 24'' and then a circle hook. I tried a small foam float a few inches down from the hook and it works well for me.

16. Blue Kayak

Blue Kayak New Member

State:
    MN
    I've just started doing this and don't have much experience. I'm fishing in a catfish league from boats. At some sites it seems like you want a heavy sinker to get your bait pegged to the bottom. The next site might have an eddy or snags where you'd like to have your bait drift around. But it is a pain to switch back and forth between a bottom rig and and floating rig.

I'm using 80 pound Power Pro. I start with two sections of small diameter, plastic tubing about two inches long. I also use a large swivel, about 6 inches of line, and then the hook. The tube closest to the swivel has about one foot of 30 pound mono tied, super glued, and duct taped to the middle of the tubing. On the mono I attach the sinker of my choice using a split shot. I also tie an overhand knot in the end of the mono to hold the split shot. If the sinker gets snagged, it slips off the end of the mono. NOTE: I would not recommend trying to cast this rig long distances -- the sinker would probably fly off.

The second set of tubing is for when I want to turn this into a floating rig. I just inflate a balloon and tie it to the second (farthest from swivel) tubing. Then I put on a bobber stop at the depth I want to fish.

This makes it easy to switch from a weighted bottom bait to a drifting bait. It is easy to change the sinkers; you just have to take off the split shot from the dropper line. Best of all, you generally just lose a sinker, or a hook instead of the whole rig.

The balloon size can easily be adjusted to balance the sinker weight. You can put a light stick inside the bobber or use a small lighted bobber along with the balloon. Since the bobber is tied to the tubing, it is possible to remove and reuse the balloon.

I also cut a notch in the tube end next to the swivel. The notch holds the swivel in place and reduces line twist. The line "flows" through the tubing, so you can freespool if you get a bite and are concerned that a heavy weight might cause the fish to drop the bait.

In summary you have the following: bobber stop, bead if needed, plain tubing (for balloon), notched tubing with mono (for sinker), large swivel, short line, and hook.

Jerry

17. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I been doing the bobber above the bait for many MANY years now. OPINION & from what I've seen.

Not a Carolina rig for then the bait can swim up and over your bobber. TOOOO muck current will kill this method fer sure.

Remember to put alittle slack in the line to allow the bobber to rise some. The Bait is ALOT livelier this way TOOOOO!!!!

:big_smile_2: