Slip Bobber Rigs w/ Pole Float

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by ntensive995, Jun 12, 2009.

1. ntensive995

ntensive995 New Member

State:
    NC
    Hello everyone! This is my first post here at Catfish1. A guy I sat next to at a pay pond recently pointed me this direction. Glad to be a part of the community.

So, I've gotten my rods and reels, made some rod holders, etc. But, I notice two out of three or more of the guys out there fishing are using Pole Floats on a slip bobber rig to fish off the bottom. I have two questions (hopefully simple).

1. How do I set this rig up? I think I have most of it down pat except for the sinkers. I'm going to thread on the bobber stop at my necessary depth, add the Pole Float, bead, barrel swivel, leader, then hook. What sinkers should I be using? Is it possible to use an egg sinker or some such? I'd like to avoid split shots if I can. I'm not a big fan.

2. How do you guys go about judging the depth of a pond? Is there an easy way?

2. ntensive995

ntensive995 New Member

State:
    NC
    Not to post twice, but actually, I've already purchased three "Weighted Pole Floats". They appear to already have a lead weight on the bottom of them. Does this mean I do not require a sinker? Or without one will my bait still float upwards? I'm trying to fish about 3-6" off the bottom. There are upwards of 70Lbs catfish in the pond I want to catch! I don't have anywhere close by to fish other than here and a few state lakes where I've only managed to pull out small channels, etc.

3. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the bead goes on after the bobber stop, and even with weighted floats you will need an egg sinker, somewhere around 1 oz. Welcome to the BOC and good luck.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    In case it hasn't already been said, the bead goes above the bobber.

The way to tell the depth of the water is to cast out your float rig - if the float lays down on its side, then the weight is on the bottom, reduce the depth (lower the bobber stop) a foot or two and try again, and again, until the float stands up, then you know your bait (or actually, your sinker) is just off the bottom.

I generally prefer the unweighted floats because of this very thing - the floats with the weight at the bottom will stand up regardless. With an unweighted float, I put an egg sinker on the line above the swivel for the leader. The sinker should be just heavy enough to stand up the float and pull it about half way down in the water. With a weighted float, in still water, you really don't need to put weight on the line - but again, that doesn't allow you to tell the water depth.

Hope this helps.

5. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you don't use a sinker with the weighted float and use livebait you will be untangling your line a bunch, with cut bait no sinker will be fine. You can also add a straw between the bead and float, hope this helps.

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    All good tips above. Have nothing to add. Welcome to the BOC.

7. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    Don't want to hijack the thread, but is the straw for? I am thinkink if you are on bottom the straw will lay flat even if a weighted bobber is standing up?

8. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The straw is between the bead and the float, it keeps your line away from the bobber and less tangling. Welcome to the BOC Eddie, good luck.

9. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    All good advice. Welcome to the BOC

10. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    check out ( float rig I use) by flathead steve in this section. It is exactly what I was talking about.

11. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
  12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Check out the boc library, they explain it far better than i could. Plus they have pictures! Welcome to the boc

13. ntensive995

ntensive995 New Member

State:
    NC
    Thank you for all of the advice. I went out to the pond today for a good 6-7 hours, and didn't catch a thing!

My problem may have been that my hook was slapped on the bottom by the weight not knowing the depth of the water. Turns out I bought weighted pole floats, so I couldn't take the advice given here in regards to figuring out the depth of the water in the parts of the pond I was fishing. I'll try and pick up some nicer, non-weighted floats and give it a try. Almost wound up giving up and going back to the slip sinker rig. But I really want to give the pole float rigs a good few tries before rejecting them.

14. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Ryan, I use slip floats all the time and I use the Cigar type pole bobbers alot just changed to the Kat Bobbers as they are a sponsor here and I love the BOC so why not help them out as well.

I normally set my float at 3-5' deep no matter how deep the place you are fishing is late a night those cats will find the bait and normally that happens to be the same depth that I set my bobber to get the gills so the fish IMO are looking for gill's at that depth.

Also if you don't want them Weighted bobber's any more I'll buy them from you as those are all I use on the cigar type pole foats.

I do have to untangle the bobber some times normally only when I am using a bluegill over 5" never on the green sunfish.

Hope this helps

15. ntensive995

ntensive995 New Member

State:
    NC
    Yeah I can sell them to you, that's fine with me as I will not be using them anymore. I think I found that they're just too much as this Pond is completely still.

Where do I find the link to the Kat floats you mentioned? Took a look around but couldn't seem to find them (someone else mentioned them in another thread I browsed).

A couple more questions, one is sort of off topic, but here it goes:

Firstly, do you guys recommend using a leader line under the weight-swivel? Or do you guys use a Snap Barrel Swivel (not sure if that's what they're called)? I've heard and seen a little of both out at this pond.

Second, where do you find Blue Gill man? Haha. I'm in NC and I'm not even sure if they're around here or not. And how do you go about keeping them alive? Also, how do you keep bream alive? They seem to be the easiest fish to baitfish for around my area. All the small ponds and lakes near my house are littered with them.

And to let you know what I'm fishing for...I'm going for 20lbs-50lbs Blues/Flatheads. Do you guys use different rigs for blues than flatheads? Should I just be fishing for blues, or what? I've put so much time and money into my outfits, and not only that, paying to fish out there and getting in the pots! Need to win at least one time, haha! My buddy caught a 15.5lbs Flathead off of chicken livers last night. When I use chicken livers I tend to pull out the < 5lbs!

16. ntensive995

ntensive995 New Member

State:
    NC
    Also, I made my rod holders out of PVC pipe and a metal stake. Would you guys recommend tight-lining using the floats? Or should I give a lot of line for the fish to run with?

17. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
  18. ntensive995

ntensive995 New Member

State:
    NC
    I bought like a 12" unweighted pole float, and it worked sooo much better. Went back to buy two more for my other outfits, and the store was closed (blasted Sunday hours). Every fish I caught tonight was on the unweighted cork, and it just felt like it was better. Was able to judge the depth thanks to the advice I received here. So thank you very much for that information!

Caught a 22.3lbs Catfish tonight on it. Took me nearly 20 minutes to reel him in. Very fun! Used a bream head the size of my palm for 'em.

Another question, when you use live Bream under a pole float, should the rig be changed at all? I did increase my sinker to 1/2oz which kept the fish from tangling up my line. But I got no bites tonight on live Bream. Figured a flathead would've grabbed them at least.

19. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn