Slip bobber rig for catfishing the California Aqueduct

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by catfish slick, Nov 13, 2006.

1. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    As most of you know that have read my posts, I fish the California Aqueduct, that has some of the hardest Cat fishing in the state, do to the fact it is cement lined and has such a swift currant. I think I have fished every rig set up I could find from the old traditional sinker on bottom and two hooks above. Then after reading the articles on slip Bobbers on in the BOC Library I decided to give that a try and that works great if you are up to a good long walk to follow it down stream, Because if you don't follow it down stream it will just wash up on the bank, and if you decide to follow it, you will have a long walk back. I liked the Idea that you could place your hook and bait at the depth of your choice, and especially after reading the articles on Thermal Stratifieation and lake turn over. So I started thinking how I could make this work with out the long walk and hear is what I came up with. First of Instead of using the egg type slip sinker I use what is called a U-B fishing slydo, It's a small plastic tube with a snap attached to it, I like this Instead of the egg sliding sinker, because you can change waits simply by just unsnapping the slydo and changing sinkers. "And any sinker with a eye on it will work" Ok on to the rig. I first place a slydo on the end of my line then a Plastic bobber, "I use the Billy Boy Bobbers, they have the tube that runs through them so the line can slide free" then a bead, and then a barrel swivel, then about twelve to Eighteen inch leader with your hook on it. This works great in swift water conditions usually use from a 4 to 6 once Flat sinker hooked on my slydo, and that holds me on bottom most of the time. and the way this works is after you are cast out and on bottom, all you have to do is pull off a little line and the bobber will float your bait to any depth you would like to fish. And best of all theirs no walking.

2. doomz

doomz New Member

State:
    California
    have you tried a side planner? I've been wanting to try one out in the Aquaduct for Strippers

3. doomz

doomz New Member

State:
    California
    Oh and I've seen your rig in a fishing mag a few months ago. The person placed a bobber at the end (tip) of his line and placed a weight about 18-20 inches up the line. He then tied on a circle hook and fished with cut bait. according to the article they do it in europe a lot. I'm going to try it out this spring