Slip Bobber question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by IL_CATFISH, Aug 15, 2006.

1. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey fellas, i've been reading a lot of threads that talk about slip bobbers. sounds like a lot of you guys use them. I'm thinking of giving them a shot but I was hoping to get some advice from you guys. I have already looked in the library and got the info on getting set up. Now I just need nt know how to determing the best depth to fish at. I do more drifting than anything and was wondering if this method would work for drifting. Any help would be appreciated guys.

Thanks,

Ryan

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    For me its just 'trial and error' to figure out the depth.I usually start out on bottom and keep trying different depths until I find out where the fish are.

3. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    IL_CATFISH,

I'm mainly a river fisherman but I practice drifting on my local lake, I use bobbers that I build out of pool noodles about 8 inches in length, I normally fish above the bottom about a foot or two, during the summer the cats like to cruise the lake, if I mark them on the depth finder higher or lower I adjust the stop, mainly use fresh cut Shad as bait, run the bobbers back behind the boat about 50 yards or so, I have attached pictures to give you an idea of the set-up, the one picture with the hands shows the location of the bobbers, the one on the right is buried down and taking off you can see the bend in the rod, I use 6/0 circle hooks I round off the one end to cut back on drag when I bring the bobber back to the boat, you can hang 20oz of lead under them and they still float, I use them on the river to get bait in and around timber and old blown up dam structures that would eat a normal rig up..........Doc

Attached Files:

4. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Here's one more picture........Doc

Attached Files:

5. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good post, thanks brother.

6. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Have you guys ever heard of trying to fish the thermocline?

7. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I have been slip bobber fishing with some bobbers from Maine Wolf Products(BOC Sponsor) and been getting at least one fish a night. Slip bobber fihsin in a river can be rewarding but challenging. Being a shore fishermen you kinda have to guesstimate out deep the water is and if there is any structure(wood & big rocks) on the bottom and fish about 1-3 feet above it. I use a fairly large bobber wrapped with a 8in chemicle light, 3oz of weight and a 8/0 circle hook with a large bulhead as bait.

Here is a picture of the first flathead I got slip bobber fishing. 17lbs

Good Luck!

Its so cool seeing a big lighted bobber get pulled under and take off at night!

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Hey Tim, can you post a close up pic of one of your floats. My eyes arent that good to see how the bead stops the line. LOL

9. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    AwShucks,

Here you go pictures are attached, I just drill a 3/32nd hole in the top and bottom of the bobber for the line to feed into.............Doc

Attached Files:

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Now that I can see and understand. Thanks.